Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O I'm wrapping up my Christmas cutting boards and I've ran into an issue ideally you guys have answers to. The end grain has been soaking up oil for nearly a week and the others a few days of oiling but hardly any sucking up.

Oiling is purely mineral oil.

All sanded to 320.

The far right edge grain I thought had enough oil and was given to my wife. She used tomatoes and then rinsed the board and immediately the maple grain lifted and feels like a cat tongue. I dried it then have since added more oil which it's soaking up like crazy!

So what did I do wrong? What can I do to get my smooth surface back and is a wax a better option or something to be used in conjunction to oil?

Thanks!!!

Attachments

·
7,222 Posts
A good number of threads about how to finish cutting boards.

This is a forum so expect a spectrum of replies. Not a black and white issue, more perhaps preference.

Mineral oil works. Perhaps better for face/edge grain than end grain. In end grain it makes the wood dark and most grain disappears.

Beeswax works. Some folks melt the wax then appy, some heat the wood then apply.

You mentioned "maple". Which species? I do not get grain raising with hard maple even when my boards get dry and need re-oiling.

Soft maple is one of several species.
Silver maple
Big leaf maple
Striped maple
Red maple
Box elder

Soft maple may raise grain when exposed to water.

The oil helps to protect the surface, but is not a hard film. Water will penetrate. Hence if the wood will raise its grain with water, oil will not prevent this from happening.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the fast reply, I had read other posts but am unsure where I went wrong so welcoming a critique. I unfortunately am not sure on the specific maple species! I thought hard maple ....

Thanks for the clarity on finishes, what would u do? I was thinking card scraping to attempt to smooth the raised fibers where sandpaper may fill with oil?

·
crosseyed & dyslexic
589 Posts
I lightly wet all my boards prior, let dry and then sand.Then apply your oil. What you can do now, is wet sand it with the mineral oil and some 320 wet/dry, just wipe it off really well and you should be good to go. :thumbsup:
Good luck!

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I sand my cutting boards to 150. It's a cutting board. Also agree to wet the board to get the grain to rise and the resand. Then it will be ready to oil. I have not had any problems with edge grain boards absorbing mineral oil. I put a coat on every day for 5 to 7 days.
Tom

·
Registered
401 Posts
Always an issue with grain raising after I start the daily oiling.... As the others say... Resand and continue oiling.... You shouldn't have the problem again.... I've always used olive oil with good results....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts