Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made four end grain boards out of hard maple and purple hart. I set them outside in the sun today for about 5 hours and when I went to bring them in they were all warped :sad:

What can I do to get them to lay lat again?

Thanks

·
Registered
834 Posts
Try flipping them over and put them back in the sun. I tried this with a panel that had cupped on me once and it worked.

Let's us know how you made out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sometimes a little water placed in the concave part of wood will push the warp back out. A little water! Like being wiped with a damp sponge!

·
7,222 Posts
Why would you put these in direct sun for so long?

You have differential drying causing the warping.

If you are lucky you can turn them over and see if the other side dries, but do not put them back in the sun.

·
Registered
142 Posts
How thick are they? If it's not too bad, you might be able to drum sand them flat (maybe use a friends or a shop's if you don't have one). Also, perhaps you could sandwich them between to flat surfaces and very gently put slight pressure on them over several days with a little steam or moisture.

Please let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guy's.

Dave I set them outside trying to bring the purple out real good before oiling, leason learned I guess.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Instead of putting water on the wood, I've had very good results with setting warped panels on a lawn. With the sun on one side and the humidity from the grass on the other side it should come flat again. I'll often put cherry outside to 'suntan' before I finish it. If it's a loose panel I'll be sure to have it stickered well and then flip it regularly. Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts