Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm assuming if this can be done on terra cotta, it can be done on wood too. If it can, does anyone know which bit to use? I have a Dremel 400 xpr which I have never used. I've seen this type of thing done with a scroll saw, but I don't have one.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Depends a little on the hardness of the wood. Try the tile cutting bit, what have you got to lose?
I run a RotoZip at 30k rpm and diamond cutters. That carves just about anything. Glass, Abalone seashell, moose antler, etc.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
The main problem I've had trying to do fine work on wood, like that ... wood is too soft and the tool wants to grab at it. It's very hard to keep a smooth line going.

Definitely not impossible. You'll want as fine a tooth pattern as you can get. It would be easier to "sand" a design in than to "cut" it in.

As Robson said, a diamond cutter works on all those hard materials, but it would probably load up on wood. A rasp design might be the best. It won't give you a "finished" edge, but it would bring you to rough design, then you could sand in the details.

·
World's Tallest Midget
813 Posts
My biggest problem with Dremel carving is the bit wants to follow the grain. I have a tiny little ball mill that works pretty good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts