Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26,966 Posts
How are you set up with the shaper. Do you have a collar or are you needing a three wing cutter? It's not that difficult to make your own blades for a collar. If you need custom blades once it won't be the last time.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought a collar from grizzly. Sent them an Email about questions and they did reply saying to call direct tomarrow, Will let you know how things "Shape up" lol

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Whenever we use loose knives in a collar set up, we have a small plywood box, double 3/4" thickness, that we hold over the spindle at first start up, just in case. Had a knife come loose once, shot across the shop, broke through a window and chipped a brick in a building about 30' away.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am getting barraged with questions trying to figure this out. I understand the angles etc, what I need to know is how big of a diameter head a 3 hp motor with a 3/4 inch shaft can handle. I know that rpm of the motor and the spindle come into play, but as the head diameter goes up so does the cutter edge rpm, but that plays against the hp of the motor, So....how big of a cutter head can I safely use with a figuratively deep cutter?

·
where's my table saw?
28,709 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A 3/4" arbor calls for a 2" diameter head, with a 1 1/2" HP or larger shaper:
http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2013/Main/551

A 3" head is suitable for use on a 3HP shaper as it says above.

A call to Grizzly tech services would probably answer your specific needs:
Technical Support:
M-F 8:00 am - 6:00 pm EST (570) 546-9663

This 7 1/2 Shaper will take some mighty large cutters:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/7-1-2-HP-3-Phase-Spindle-Shaper/G7214Z
Those are based on the fact that Grizzly only sells 1/4" thick blades and those have a maximum depth of the cutter being limited because of the blade thickness. I want a 5/16 blade thickness to increase depth of cut, but want to know the maximum outside diameter of cut that a 3 hp shaper can go

·
where's my table saw?
28,709 Posts
Your 3/4" arbor is the weak link

I am getting barraged with questions trying to figure this out. I understand the angles etc, what I need to know is how big of a diameter head a 3 hp motor with a 3/4 inch shaft can handle. I know that rpm of the motor and the spindle come into play, but as the head diameter goes up so does the cutter edge rpm, but that plays against the hp of the motor, So....how big of a cutter head can I safely use with a figuratively deep cutter?
Those are based on the fact that Grizzly only sells 1/4" thick blades and those have a maximum depth of the cutter being limited because of the blade thickness. I want a 5/16 blade thickness to increase depth of cut, but want to know the maximum outside diameter of cut that a 3 hp shaper can go
I don't think you can get what you want...5/16" thick blades and a large ...? diameter cutter to be used on that small arbor, 3 HP probably not a factor regardless. These guys will know:
http://www.cggschmidt.com/store/shaper_cutters.php

·
Registered
26,966 Posts
When ever using loose knives in a collar it's best to use the lock edge knives. More important is to make each knife as close alike as you can and put them on a scale and weigh them. When I make knives I keep grinding on them until they are within a gram of the same weight so they balance well. The only time I've had a knife come out is when I worked for a shop that used smooth edge knives and they would use knives that didn't match at all. At the time I was young and didn't know the importance of balanced knives.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I went with http://www.mirror-reflections.com/. I went to the web site and he has ALOT of info on cutters cutter heads grind angles etc. etc. I drew up the profile I needed in Sketchup and emailed it to him. He sent me back a proof sheet the next day with his version to cut a custom template. I bought off on it and he had the blades to me 3 days later. And I went with a new cutter head 3"x3" in steel serrated. My profile is 2 1/4" x 1 3/8" deep. Ran it 2 passes just to make sure. It came out perfect!!!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts