Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Don't get over here much...spend quite a bit time in the DIY hang out...but I'm hoping someone can help or point me in a positive direction...

I have a profile of a piece of trim that I picked up at the local BORG...it was jammed in a close-out bin last piece, no labels, just $X per foot. Nothing with regards to its source. I scanned the profile, and made a CAD drawing of it. The problem I'm having is locating someone to make a carbide bit other than White Side and Wolf Carbide Company (no reply). I would appreciate it if you know of a business to toss my way that I could contact.

Thanks much...have a safe long weekend.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I was going to suggest Whiteside, but apparently not. Another possibility is Forest City Tool.
www.forestcitytool.biz . Email is [email protected]. Otherwise, do you have a saw sharpening/manufacturing machine shop in your area? That's where I go to get custom bits made. In fact, I'll give you their name and number. I don't know if they'll do router bits, but they do custom blades and drill bits, I know. They are D & M Saw & Mfg, Inc., in Albany, OR. No email or website, but their contact info is: 3951 Commercial Way SE
p.o. box 1510
Albany, OR 97321
541-928-6463

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the lead I'll give them a call to see if I can get a quote. I'll also check to see if I can find someone local.

Just for kicks, here's a picture of the profile...I've remove the measurements so it's easier to read...

routerbit_profile.jpg

This profile is to make a 1-1/4" piece to sit on-top of 4-1/2" baseboard. The profile is upside down in the image. Who knows, maybe someone knows of bit like this from a current company...my search results haven't turned anything up like it yet.

Thanks again...

·
Custom Router Bits Made
2 Posts
Custom cutter in three to four weeks

See: Orbit Toolworks.

www.Orbitool.com.

We manufacture high quality custom brazed on carbide router bits for the woodworking hobbyist, and custom cabinet makers, through large scale manufacturing operations involved in wood, fiberglass, graphite composites, plastics, plus a multitude of other materials (think granite for example).

I invite you to contact me through our website or by phone (888-425-7130 8:00AM to 6:00PM weekdays Pacific time).

We can help you by making the carbide router bit to replicate your existing shape. The cutter shown can be made for $158 and will take three to four weeks to deliver.

Thanks for your time,
Mark

·
Banned
6,838 Posts
Funny how that works. These companies have people scan the forums for stuff all the time.

Remember when bassblaster was having trouble with his Grizzly 715P. They knew all about it through the forum.

So they do hear our complaints and comments and I guess they occasionally listen.:laughing:

·
Old School
24,027 Posts
Funny how that works. These companies have people scan the forums for stuff all the time.

Remember when bassblaster was having trouble with his Grizzly 715P. They knew all about it through the forum.

So they do hear our complaints and comments and I guess they occasionally listen.:laughing:

Rather than getting poofed for a spam ad, they dig up old posts to answer a question.:yes:

·
Registered
12,589 Posts
We need to have a bell ring when the original post is out of some specified date range.

How often does anyone look at the date?

George

·
John
3,028 Posts
Thanks for the lead I'll give them a call to see if I can get a quote. I'll also check to see if I can find someone local.

Just for kicks, here's a picture of the profile...I've remove the measurements so it's easier to read...

View attachment 4725

This profile is to make a 1-1/4" piece to sit on-top of 4-1/2" baseboard. The profile is upside down in the image. Who knows, maybe someone knows of bit like this from a current company...my search results haven't turned anything up like it yet.

Thanks again...

Try looking for "molding plane profile" bits. Here are some
http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shop...tml/pages/bit_molding.html#molding_set_anchor

May be an issue finding one with all the exact radii you need.:smile:

·
The New Guy
1,200 Posts
Rather than getting poofed for a spam ad, they dig up old posts to answer a question.:yes:

Why you gotta be a hater? They're only uhh, 4 years late to the party. I'm sure we can find some chips somewhere for them. I'll even toss them in the oven to freshen them up. Who doesn't like warm, freshly crisped chips?

·
Custom Router Bits Made
2 Posts
Hi Guys,

I am new at these forums. I read online that to get the word out about my website I should read and answer questions on these forums. Orbit Toolworks is a one man buisiness. I am just one guy trying to help others by making router bits for them. Most of the people I help complain about the trouble they have with the bigger companies not willing to help with their single piece orders, and in creating a working drawing for manufacturing use. I see this as a way to help others. I now see that the post was an old one, but you now know that I can help you with your current projects. Sorry to have raised your fur! Please don't hate me for offering to help.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have no problem with it! (especially now that I see you are in nor ca too! lol

·
Registered
575 Posts
Hi Guys,

I am new at these forums. I read online that to get the word out about my website I should read and answer questions on these forums. Orbit Toolworks is a one man buisiness. I am just one guy trying to help others by making router bits for them. Most of the people I help complain about the trouble they have with the bigger companies not willing to help with their single piece orders, and in creating a working drawing for manufacturing use. I see this as a way to help others. I now see that the post was an old one, but you now know that I can help you with your current projects. Sorry to have raised your fur! Please don't hate me for offering to help.
That would be great but your link above is for a yoga website.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts