Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend asked me to make him a totally custom fountain pen from lignum vitae.

Because wood doesn't hold screwthreads well, I chose to inset a piece of ebonite (hard rubber) into the end of the wooden barrel, which I then threaded internally (to receive the nib section) and externally (so the cap could screw onto it.)

The section is the same ebonite -- drilled and threaded internally to receive the MeisterNib #6 nib, feed and housing in the front, threaded to screw into the barrel at the back.

The cap has an ebonite plug, threaded internally to screw onto the barrel, and up at the top I parted off a finial and turned a tenon so the clip ring has something to seat around, then used epoxy to fix the finial in place again.

It was a real challenge for me, and I didn't do everything in the best sequence which made it a little trickier. Still, I'm happy with the result, and hope my friend will be too when it's delivered.

IMGP5453.jpg

IMGP5462.jpg

IMGP5449.jpg

·
7,222 Posts
Very well done. I can appreciate the challenges especially with the threading. :eek:

Your friend is lucky and should be very happy with the pen. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
I always love your threads cause you post some truly excellent work.

I'm hoping in 35-40 years tops my stuff looks 1/2 as good. Of course I'll be about 80 and likely wont care...,

·
7,222 Posts

I'm hoping in 35-40 years tops my stuff looks 1/2 as good. Of course I'll be about 80 and likely wont care...,
Or you will care and your eyesight will be so bad, even a stick might look good. :laughing:

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
plus 1 what everyone else said.:thumbsup:

Wow ... :blush: ... the way I see it, if I can learn to do this, most people can.

Seriously -- the first time I used a lathe was when a work colleague gave me his "spare" in late 2009/early 2010. Here's my first question about pen turning on this board ... link ... I took a pen making class and a bowl turning class at the local Woodcraft store, joined the local turning club, and enjoyed my new-found hobby.

I have reasonable hand-eye coordination, but nothing exceptional. I try to listen and learn from every turner around me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts