Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just finished for a client on Martha's Vineyard is this custom made reproduction of a sea chest in solid cherry, with dovetailed sides and hand painted compass.The inside is lined with cedar to keep your fabrics and blankets safe from moths. The rope beckets are made by local artist Tim Whitten

Attachments

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
And now that I see it I can tell It is purty dang cool. Awesome work bud:thumbsup:

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Very nice chest. (Why does it sound dirty when I say it like that...)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think only woodworkers can say that out loud and not get slapped...

As for the finish it is the homemade version of the Maloof finish with ten coats sanding between coats and then the wax/oil finish. I like this finish for cherry very much. The hardest part of this was doing the 7 degree angled dovetails on the sides. Since I never did an angle dovetail before, I made a pine version so I could practice.

The rope beckets caused a problem since they came from someone else and having never installed any before I had glued the handle to the case and was waiting for them to be delivered.
Rope beckets need to be installed first and through an open hole in the back of the handle just in case anyone wants to know...

So those handles are the second version. I should post the first version and show how much work I had to do to get them off...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Since it is snowing (AGAIN!) and I have not posted for awhile I just added the last few projects completed and some on my second album page. I did not want to start a new thread so here is the first which is a rolling cherry TV cart for a cottage on the cape. The next is a Star Trek collectable coffee table made from oak and pine and the last is a reproduction for a client who wanted and old barbershop cabinet made for her bathroom.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
The Sea Chest rocks!

So you say the handles are glued on? That provides enough strength to lift by those cool beckets? Just asking because I would like to attempt something like this in the future.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would not glue them if you use traditional rope beckets.

They have to be secured "through" the handle from the back. You need to bore a 1/2 inch hole and then cut it out from the back, so the handle can slide over the becket. Unless you want to make something that is threaded through the handle such as just a rope then you will need to be able to remove the handle to install and have it available to remove in the event you need to replace it sometime in the future. I installed four wood screws and decided not to glue the handle on just in case it needs to be removed. But since I had such a hard time removing the first handles, I just feel the strength is there with the four screws. I have included the sizes if you want them...

Attachments

·
Registered
656 Posts
Fantastic sea chest! The cherry is beautiful and the compass painting added a great accent. The finish is amazing. Your other projects are beautiful too. Great job!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts