Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a jersey display case and would like to have l.e.d. lights around the edge inset into the wood to light up the jersey.

Do any of you know of a kit that I can install the lights the distance that I choose away from each other?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That would definitely be easiest, but that is not what my customer wants... She might not have a choice though.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I tend to use LED strip lights for applications such as these. They can be cut every three LED's so you can control the spacing. They are also very bright, run cool and have an extremely long life.

THESE are the type that I typically use, but I have never purchased from that particular seller. If you want to make life easier they also sell connectors for them... although I prefer to solder and heat shrink my connections. But these strips can be a bit of a pain to solder.

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
Try looking at Outwater Plastics for the LED lights. They have about a zillion different styles for almost any application. They sell other stuff and their catalog is very thick. IIRC the LEDs are around page 456.

http://outwatercatalogs.com/home/index.cfm

I talked to them at AWFS. They seem to be good people.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I tend to use LED strip lights for applications such as these. They can be cut every three LED's so you can control the spacing. They are also very bright, run cool and have an extremely long life.

THESE are the type that I typically use, but I have never purchased from that particular seller.
What do you use to get the 12volts to power them up if you want to plug into 120v?

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
If you buy a strip light kit, I think they come with connectors and power supply (wall wart).

I use wall warts left over from laptops, cell phones or any other electronic. They all vary in voltage, but I wire them from scratch, so I use the appropriate resistor(s) for the source voltage balanced against the number of LEDs, forward voltage and forward current of the diodes. If anyone is interested, here is a calculator that will determine the amount of resistance needed for different arrays of LEDs and differing source voltages.

·
Registered
63 Posts
What do you use to get the 12volts to power them up if you want to plug into 120v?
It really depends on how many strips I will be running. I've attached pictures below to give you an idea of the brightness as well.

For something like a display case where you will likely use no more than a 5 meter LED strip a left over 12v wall wart or laptop type power supply should suffice, depending on the amperage.

Example: All of the strips in these pictures are controlled by one laptop type 2 amp power supply. There are strips under each floating side table and under each couch.

If I am running multiple strips off of one power supply I like to use one like THIS.

Example: My over and under cabinet lights consist of one 5 meter white strip under cabinet, and one 5 meter RGB and one 5 meter white strip above the cabinet. I started with a wall wart type supply and it burned through it in a few months.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
That is fairly cool. I'm old. I need broader, brighter lighting than I did when I was 50.
I have LED lights over my wood carving bench. 18W, as bright as 150W incandescent.
$45 each. I thought it was a stretch at the time but they are fantastic.

Two things about LED lights that really annoy me.
1. The power supply makes my lights 13oz each.
I cannot retrofit old desk lamps = the springs do not have the jam to hold the lamps off the bench.
I have solved that jackarse puzzle.
2. The power supply is a really rotten piece of work to inject RFI into any radio within 5m.
What a bunch of crude (we know you need these) crappy,(greenie-endorsed) compromises.
= = = =
Yeah, well, fill your boots.

Thre pick-up radio is in the library. 15M speaker wires into my carving shop.
But, why do I have to bother with this?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am building a jersey display case and would like to have l.e.d. lights around the edge inset into the wood to light up the jersey.

Do any of you know of a kit that I can install the lights the distance that I choose away from each other?
I buy all my kits from china and modify to fit. 30.00 for a 16 foot kit

·
Registered
46 Posts
They come in a ribbon format. I router out a 1/2" wide trough, 1/4" deep and the ribbon has 3M 2 way tape on it. I buy the 3528 for lower light output and the 5050 for projects that need higher intensity looks.
Most I buy are RGB strips but have used a few 1 color installs And I always buy the waterproof ones to keep the damage from fingers etc. a non issue. You can get connect 90's for the turns etc. too

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I guess that I am thinking about this all wrong. I had it in my head that I needed to have/make my own system and have the LED bulb sticking through the wood, but if I can hide the cable style, it should be alright...

Right?

Thank you all for your suggestions.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Major aggravation. Turn on your radio (FM), plug in the lights not far away.
I get bad RFI hum from my LED lights, one of them is 2X worse than the other.

18W/40LED/1,100 lm, about 150W incandescent equivalent brightness.
BUT, wonderful for carving/bench working.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
You are correct. The rope/cable style would probably work best for what you are doing, especially if you are looking to light the jersey from most or all of the perimeter.

Wiring up individual LEDs can be very tedious unless you are only looking to use one or two in a smaller situation. If that situation arises, most companies will sell individual LEDs that are pre-wired with a resistor and insulated leads. Then you only have to wire them to a power supply.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts