Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Cabinet Maker
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a custom piece I designed and built for a client!

It is made of solid Red Oak. With a water-based paint finish sanded out for a worn look, with a waterborne lacquer finish.
I believe I put this entire piece out in a week and a half.. I'm finally getting faster at this stuff! I only have 2 photos for now, and 1 of the design. let me know if you want to see more!

Your friend,
Levi

Attachments

·
Cabinet Maker
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A week and a half...what took you so long.:laughing: Looks good, cool finish. What is that offset tapered thingamajig between the cabinets?
Well you know... I guess I could've put in a couple more 16 hour days.. Haha.

It is really just a little detail to add depth to the piece to make it build up on itself. Because the cabinet is 5 feet long, 5 feet tall, and 3 feet wide, I knew I needed to add tapers, offsets and lots of moulding to compensate for the size and make it not look so over-sized and boxy... I'll post a better angle of the taper column when I get a chance!

Thanks for the compliment!

·
Cabinet Maker
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I hope you don't mind but I may have to try and replicate that finish. Your work is fantastic.
Oh by all means! Please do :) I would love to see how it turns out! I'll give you my step by step process to make things easier!

First sanded my pieces down to 220 grit at most. Sometimes left it at 150.

Blow/wipe the dust from your pieces

I then believe it or not I sprayed a simple craft acrylic paint. Knowing I would be lacquering the top, I wouldn't need as much durability in the paint itself.

Sanded the paint down with 150-220 then took 100 grit sandpaper and gave it a worn look. This is harder than you think.. Haha my suggestion is do less than more. You can always sand down some more if needed, but it's a little harder to repaint. You just want to accent the corners and edges mostly with the odd surface worn out.

Blow off the dust again, and then spray a waterborne lacquer a couple coats. Mine went on pretty thick. So I didn't need a crazy amount of coats.

And there you go! Same finish. Very simple and free of headaches!

Hope this helps :)

·
Banned
3,533 Posts
Need you ask? Of COURSE we want to see more!

As usual, Levi, you're churning out some very nice quality work. And fast is good, as long as you keep up the quality standard, which you definitely are. I would recommend you make sure you account for the extra hours on those long days when quoting, though. (Just in case you hadn't already done that.)

·
Cabinet Maker
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Need you ask? Of COURSE we want to see more!

As usual, Levi, you're churning out some very nice quality work. And fast is good, as long as you keep up the quality standard, which you definitely are. I would recommend you make sure you account for the extra hours on those long days when quoting, though. (Just in case you hadn't already done that.)
Thanks for the encouragement Frank! It's because of guys like you who stand behind me and encourage me along the way that I'm where I'm at today! So thank you. As for the extra hours, I don't mind. I want to honor the promises I make my clients. If I tell them I'll have it ready by this time, I will work as hard as I need to honor my word. If it is going to risk my safety or quality I will tell them I need a little more time. But the odd 16 hour day doesn't hurt :)

I appreciate the advice!

·
Cabinet Maker
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I did not mean to post 3 times in a row... Haha the mobile app doesn't allow for deleting replies or editing them to add photos. At least not that I know of..

I don't have many photos.. But here is a shot of the finished top and then some of the top before being sprayed.

Enjoy!

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
hands made for wood said:
I did not mean to post 3 times in a row... Haha the mobile app doesn't allow for deleting replies or editing them to add photos. At least not that I know of.. I don't have many photos.. But here is a shot of the finished top and then some of the top before being sprayed. Enjoy!
What's up hands made, your work looks great! I would love to see more of your work. The piece looks awesome. The long angles are perfect! Great!

Ryan 4 custom

1 - 19 of 19 Posts