Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We just finished building our buffet. Just in time for Christmas, which was my goal. It has been our tradition for many years to have dinner at our house on Christmas Day. This year will be a lot of fun.

What started out as a faucet leak has mushroomed into a compete kitchen remodel. :eek: But first, I convinced my wife that before I tore up the kitchen, and got myself into a bind, I wanted to build a buffet so I could test my skills and acquire the tools needed to build the cabinets for our kitchen.

This is the result. I used prefinished birch plywood for the carcases, and poplar for everything else (face frames, doors, drawers, drawer fronts). A friend applied a faux finish to the cabinets. It turned out exactly like the sample my wife had picked out. A Silstone quartz counter top completes the cabinets.

I installed full extension, side mount soft close drawer slides and Blum soft close door hinges. No more noise makers. A pull out tray holds the three crock buffet server. Just pull out the tray and set the server on the counter. Easy peasy.

For the wall, we installed Brickweb thin brick applied with mastic. We grouted the brick, caulked and did a little touch up painting.

This is a done deal.
We are two happy campers.

There are a lot more pics in my album.
Hope you like them.
Thanks
Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
335 Posts
Looks great, nice work. I assume the doors are frame and panel, correct? Are the drawer fronts also frame and panel or did you use applied molding to match the doors.

George

·
Registered
549 Posts
Mike, did you change your mind on the upper center drawer? The plan shows a pullout above a shallower drawer.

·
Registered
56 Posts
That is very nice work. Your wife looks very pleased as well. I want to know what type of finish that is, I think it looks great.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mike, did you change your mind on the upper center drawer? The plan shows a pullout above a shallower drawer.
Yep. Originally she wanted a shallow pull out tray to use as a cutting board. I was concerned about racking due to the width so I talked her out of the idea.

All doors and drawer fronts were hand made on the router using a raised panel bit and the bits to create the tongue and groove Ogee profile. The flat panels for the drawer fronts are poplar glue ups planed and sanded to 3/8 inch thick. Then, I routed a rabbit on the back side just enough to leave a 1/4 inch tongue on the panel that fits into the frame. It worked out good. Quite a learning experience for this first time door builder.

The finish is a faux finish applied by a friend that refinishes furniture. She applied a black dye and then two coats of glaze. Below is a pic of the glaze and a pic of the sample my wife picked out for her to reproduce. I think it turned out real nice.

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Very nice work !!!!

If I can ever get my garage back, or, a building put up in the back, I will start on my kitchen remodel and finish the den.

Not sure which one will be first? :blink:

Very Nice Work on that Buffet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts