Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the early days of my wood working research I cam across a video of a man operating an odd contraption I could only explain as a elaborate three dimensional CNC machine. It looked far from homemade and was occupying the majority of a room of tube like supports. The man running it was rotating two wheels and causing both the work piece and the cutter to move, work piece rotating on its axis and moving vertically while the router like cutter moved on numerous axes. At the time I was surprised by it but attributed it to my lack of knowledge. As time has gone on I have seen nothing like it and haven't been able to find that odd video again. He demonstrated making elaborate spiral designs in banister posts as well as making well fitting mortise and tenon joinery. Its not a cnc machine, its not a shaper and its not anything else I've seen or heard of. Anyone else have any idea what I could have been looking at?

·
where's my table saw?
28,746 Posts
A 5 axis mill?

·
7,222 Posts
Yep, I bet that was it. And all for only $3k
It is "only" $1430 for the version you likely saw, the 3 axis machine. I only just saw this post.

Legacy Ornamental Mill used to be at the woodworking shows. I see their site no longer lists them attending shows, so they are likely selling without the need to attend the shows.

A nice machine to create straight flutes or spirals, just not cheap.

I have seen home built versions. One day I may attempt to make my own.

If the price of true CNC machines continues to come down, this may be a more versatile option.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts