Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just gotten in to peppermills. I was scoping out the Crush Grind mechanism like the one seen here

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17408

I've read varying accounts from people who have built them. Apparently, there are multiple methods to install the mechanism in the mill body. One method includes a groove that the mechanism snaps into and others include epoxy, with or without the snap-in tabs cut off. I like the flexibility that the Crush Grind mechanism provides by letting you vary the length easily and the way there's no nut on the top, but I don't want to get into something too complicated.
Anyway, can those who have tried the Crush Grind offer opinions on the pros and cons and tips and techniques of using the Crush Grind mechanism?

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
Quick,
I have made a lot of peppermills. 99.9% of the time, I use the stainless grinders that you typically get from places like Craft Supplies and Woodcraft. They are easy to install, easy to adjust for length, and reliable. I have made some with crush grinders, usually when someone wants to grind sea salt. I have cut the four tabs off and used 5 minute epoxy to hold the bottom in. If you follow the directions, that is an easy way to do it. They work well. Just make sure you get the ceramic crush grinder. There are some polycarbonate ones out there that aren't as well made. I have a free tutorial available that shows you step by step how to make one using the stainless grinder. If you're interested, just send me and email to: [email protected] and I'll email it back to you.
Mike Hawkins;)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts