Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time doing this. When installing crown is it best to try and follow the ceiling or follow a straight level line and caulk any gaps?

·
Registered
27,544 Posts
Just follow the ceiling. It's especially important to keep the bottom edge the same distance from the ceiling. If you just nail it up but guesswork it changes the angle of the miter in the corners. I would suggest mitering a joint and fit it together to see what is the correct distance the bottom should be from the ceiling.

·
Premium Member
1,813 Posts
Straight line. If you want it to look straight, mark a level line on the wall, if you just stick it up there It can get wavy, especially if the ceiling isn‘t flat.

The pros use a laser line, but tape works too.

·
Registered
13,193 Posts
This must be some very small/light crown if it bends to follow the ceiling Also if there are many visible gaps you must have a wavy ceiling.

I have only done one house, but all I did was keep the crown in touch with the ceiling. Corners came out fine. Very few places where I felt it necessary to use any gap filler between crown and ceiling.

George

·
Registered
98 Posts
If it is slight variations follow the ceiling. Is the crown painted or stained? If painted fill any slight gaps with caulk. If stained scribe to the ceiling andcarve out the top of the crown ( belt sander or planer) to match the curvature of the ceiling.

·
Premium Member
1,813 Posts
The problem with registering off the ceiling is a lot of them aren’t straight or level, especially old houses. So registering off ceiling can create a wave on the wall. I learned this the hard way.

The cleanest way is nail to a straight line on the wall and let the ceiling do whatever it wants.

It also makes the miters easier.

Glue all those miters!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Level only works if the house is level otherwise you just want a straight(ish) line. Make it look good, and float anything that is too far out to caulk.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I found that the ceiling is not level and in some places is off by up to 3/8th inch. Seems too large to caulk so how do I handle this? The moulding is not large and will be painted white.

·
Registered
Termite
4,970 Posts
Try and run a staight level line. Just try and nail it as tight as you can to the ceiling using the joist...

If your crown calls for 2" when hung , try and mark 2" on each corner, mark a chalk line iand see how it measures up inbetween...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tried that but there is not enough flexibility in the moulding to allow for this. Some did suggest scribing the moulding.

·
Registered
Termite
4,970 Posts
I tried that but there is not enough flexibility in the moulding to allow for this. Some did suggest scribing the moulding.
Are your ceilings that bad.?

Crown has to have a point to start. This piece is on a table but assume the table is the wall. It must be flat and kept flat as you install.
Wood Fawn Working animal Hardwood Flooring

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Like I said it's about 3/8ths inch drop from one end to the other over 28 inches on a short wall. Looks too big to caulk. Will try to post pictures.

·
Registered
Termite
4,970 Posts
Your ceiling is 3/8 out of levelfrom end to end?

·
Registered
Termite
4,970 Posts
I wouldn't play with it much. Looks like you have an outside return. You'll have to push it up best you can without deforming the angle.

Experience has taught a thing or two. " once you start digging the perfect hole, the hole just gets deeper"

·
Premium Member
1,813 Posts
Don’t try to caulk it all at once. Stuff the foam in & fill it, then come back next day and do it again cause the caulk will shrink a little.

I have used a putty knife to make it flat. A good caulk artist can make a lot of stuff disappear!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts