Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
What is the tip of the flame ? The point where the grain is joined before it separates? If that is the question, it answers itself...where it separates, which would be the trunk :confused1:. (the trunk is the bottom part, you know, the part towards the ground :laughing:)

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,677 Posts
Daren maybe he is condisering setting the tree on fire, in which case the tip of the flame is always going to point upward. Unless there is an extremely strong wind then it will point sideways. :laughing:

Jon, crotchwood is not always going to have a "flame" pattern to begin with. It can have any sort of figure practically and can even be rather plain. There is not really a standard answer for that question at least as I understand it.

Maybe you can ask it a different way?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Set the tree on fire,I'm still laughing at that one.This question started when I was looking at a piece of cherry flame crotch veneer and was wondering where it fit on the tree when it was still alive.

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,677 Posts
Daren is more expert at this but I have to say in my limited experience with crotch wood there is not necessarily a rhyme or reason, althought the "flames" do "tend" to eminate toward the branches they follow and that would be upward. If that makes it clear as mudcakes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts