Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've made the classic mistake of not doing a mock up. I have cut my crossheads to size with a 31 degree angle at 45 degrees. That is, the bottom of the piece, against the window trim exactly matches the max window trim width and then goes out at an angle at 31 degrees. When I try and cut the matching sides at 45 and what I thought would fit 59 degrees It dosn't work out. What am I doing wrong?

View attachment 429248
I've done crown molding before but I realize now that that was all matching angles, and this is flat against the house. I'm thinking that instead of making the sides 45, I make them 90 and don't do a side piece.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,112 Posts
I do not understand what it is you are trying to do. Can you be more explicit and provide sketch/drawing.

gmc

·
where's my table saw?
29,190 Posts
These are crossheads:

They have a "return" to make a 90 degree corner so they will return to the finished wall surface OR in your case the outside siding.

The idea was to make something to wrap the top molding and hit the side of the house. So the crosshead I cut is just wider than the 1x4 on the window molding. I wanted to make two sides that would cover this gap and go back and hit the house. Something like a window valence but for the outside of the house.
I did the side cuts at compound at 45 degrees so I thought I could just run it back some side pieces to hit the house, but it dosn't seem to work. Will post another photo in a bit and try and make a sketch.
It should work to lay them flat on the saw table and make 45 degrees cuts on the end of the long run and a short filler piece for the return.
You would set your saw blade to bevel at a 45 degree angle, in this case. The blade is at 90 degrees to the back fence, OR zero on your saw's scale.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The idea was to make something to wrap the top molding and hit the side of the house. So the crosshead I cut is just wider than the 1x4 on the window molding. I wanted to make two sides that would cover this gap and go back and hit the house. Something like a window valence but for the outside of the house.
I did the side cuts at compound at 45 degrees so I thought I could just run it back some side pieces to hit the house, but it dosn't seem to work. Will post another photo in a bit and try and make a sketch.

·
where's my table saw?
29,190 Posts
You appear to have cut compound angles. Is that what you wanted to do?
If that crosshead is on a straight surface, you only need a simple angle.
Yep! The simple angle will be 45 degrees. One 45 at each end of the long run and a 45 on the return, the short filler pieces that go back to the siding.
Pretty much dirt simple.
Lay the pieces up against the fence on the miter saw table and make 45 miters.
If you saw will make that depth of cut.... I donno?
OR, lay them flat on the mitersaw table and set your saw blade to bevel them at 45 degrees.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I did cut both pieces at 45 but then when I cut the side piece, It was not long enough. The face of the crosshead was 10" and the piece I cut was 8" wide. I found a chart that says for 30degrees, I need to cut the other piece at 50 for with the 45. That seems to work but the side piece is sloping down, not the effect I want. I think they are a bit to pointy, so I might go from 31 to 20 degrees.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Here is a bit of scrap I cut at 50 degrees (still at 45 for the bevel) the return would fit the length perfectly but
its going off at an angle, so the bevels are somehow wrong, (both are 45 but ******).

There must be some math that tells me what angles to set.
I've been told that even though the saw reads 31, since I'm cutting with the bottom of the piece on the fence
its backwards.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It should work to lay them flat on the saw table and make 45 degrees cuts on the end of the long run and a short filler piece for the return.
You would set your saw blade to bevel at a 45 degree angle, in this case. The blade is at 90 degrees to the back fence, OR zero on your saw's scale.

This is the obvious answer and I know I'm driving myself silly by trying to do compound angles. I'will just let the profile be my protrusion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts