Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys, my first time here.
First I'll have to apologize for my English; I'm not a native speaker and probably will never be.
To the business: My wife asked me to build a new queen-size bed and gave a reference design for it. Here is the headboard design:
link to the img

The center panel and the upper part of the headboard are Walnut, other parts are Maple. The problem starts with the fact that the bed must be able to be disassembled to two different beds. Since she wants it to be one long panel, I think it can't be a frame-and-panel design. Here is a "half" of the headboard:
link to the img

You can see the leg that closer to the center (or to the second bed) - it shouldn't appear from the front of the bed, So I decided to glue it from the back and give it a thick base as the other leg (to attach the side rails to it).

My problem is how to assemble the whole headboard. The top of the headboard (thin Walnut strip) must be glued to the headboard and cover the posts (she doesn't want the posts to be proud ahead of the headboard). I don't know how to avoid gluing this wide headboard cross grain with the posts.

Can you please advise here?
Thank you in advance,
David

·
where's my table saw?
28,158 Posts
not realistic...jmo

One bed that becomes two beds...? No visible supports...? Lot's o'luck. You will end up with a right and left side that look like the bed was split down the center in two parts. :thumbdown:

Why not make two freestanding headboards that can be joined in the center with draw bolts or other invisble means from the rear. The curve is the issue I have with it. A straight or flat cross piece would work/look better in my opinion. If a curve is a must have then maybe it's a separate add on piece. I donno?

There's a reason this is difficult....because it is. :yes:

·
where's my table saw?
28,158 Posts
then you have no problem

Sounds like it will be a 3 legged bed, if it cant show as a whole bed. BTW it won't show anyway, because the mattress will hide it, unless I'm missing something?

Back to draw bolts to hold it together ....:blink:

·
Banned
3,535 Posts
I can't view your images but if/when I can I'll make some comments as I have some ideas how one might do this, if I'm understanding the question and design correctly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi, thank you.
I don't know how to embed images to here, but there are direct links to the images too.
I think it'll be 4 legs bed, just I'm trying to hide the bedpost that is closer to the other bed behind the headboard (instead of boring a mortise in it, stick the whole headboard into it and glue it at the top or something like that).

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts