Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Built my first cross cut sled today wasnt sure how that was going to go but turned out pretty nice. Might be a little to big might have to cut it down.

After I did the 5 cut test ended up being .504 front and .506 rear with 20 inch cuts.

Cut up my first cutting board after I was done now to glue it up and finish it up.

·
where's my table saw?
28,759 Posts
Are your sure of .504"

That's 1/2" in fractions, not very good at all. Maybe the decimal is off?
Ok I get it. It's the difference that counts, not the initial number. My bad.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2 thousandths of an inch in 80 inches isnt good? I was under the impression when I watched all the vids about making them that that was very good? Am I wrong?

Maybe I explained it incorrectly.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
.002" over 80" is as square as you'll ever get it. Cal it done and make sure the rear fence doesn't move... Ever.

I think the confusion is over the 5 cut method and how that is used to measure square. Essentially if he made an 80" long cut, it is to within .002" over the full length. Pretty darn accurate.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Perfectly clear explanation! I have my cross cut sled within about 3 or 4 thousandths, then I cut the board 1/2" too short:thumbdown:

My sled is too big also, I think I will make a second small sled instead of cutting this one down. I see where someone used a magnetic dial indicator and square to set the small sled, seems like a slick idea?

JIm

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I watched so many videos by the time I was ready to make one I think I was about as confused as can be about how I was going to make sure it was square lol.

That is when I decided to just go with what I thought would be easist and logical.

I just ended up using a framing square and made sure I ran everything through the planer to square it up before I started. I thought I was going to have a hard time matching up the runners. I ended up putting three screws down through the top while I had the sled sitting on it then ran 3 more from the bottom up.

It is 4 ft wide by 26 inches deep.

·
"splinter picker"
24 Posts
Good for you... now a word of advice.

If you don't have a guard on the back of it, PUT ONE ON!

Ask me how I know why. :eek:

I can attest.... my bones are gleaming white. Yep, multiple cross cuts making cutting boards. About the 83rd...:censored:!

The ride to the hospital with my wife was actually scarier than what was wrapped in the towel. :cursing: I wouldn't look at it, but knew it was "still attached," when I wiggled it with my other hand.

Got my first glimpse when the er doc took the towel off. Left ring finger between the first and second digit had a diagonal gash 1/16" wide. Only nicked the bone (which was gleaming white.)

Fingers dangling behind that rear fence make a very distict sound when the blade comes into contact with human flesh!

Once again, good for you about the sled... just take heed from a guy with "experience." Put yourself a guard on the back of it.

Happy sleddin'!

Beav

·
where's my table saw?
28,759 Posts
What's it look like?

I built one recently here's the thread and it's a bit different as it has 2 fences, actually 3. The 2 inner fences are independently adjustable and can be set to any angle from 0 to 45, 60 whatever, including 90 degrees. It might give you some additional ideas...I donno? http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f27/table-saw-sled-build-49218/

Mine was too big and heavy also, so I knocked off the corners at 45 degrees with no loss of stability or accuracy. Now it's much lighter.

The 5 cut test:

·
Registered
12,992 Posts
2 thousandths of an inch in 80 inches isnt good? I was under the impression when I watched all the vids about making them that that was very good? Am I wrong?

Maybe I explained it incorrectly.
It is better than good.

It is far better than is needed in woodworking.

G

·
Really underground garage
2,552 Posts
George,I'm curious,seriously.

You're saying(correct me please)that you don't think accuracy is important to woodworking?

Or are you saying that in all the woodworking you've done,you've never needed more accuracy than what could be measured with a tape?

Or are you of the opinion that anybody that chases accuracy in WW'ing is wasting their time?

I'm very curious...not trying to offend anybody.

·
Really underground garage
2,552 Posts
WRT a TS sled....am curious.

Why don't you-all make an "L" section out of the fence.Which sits on top of base plate.Now,one end is the pivot end....the right side as viewed from user position.The left side has a slotted hole in the lower,flat/horiz part of L.Both of these fasteners are from the top.Nothing is buried under base plate.

Use threaded inserts.You can leave it like this and do the "tappy-tap" method to move it.Or get as fancy as you like with real threaded adjuster to change angle.

It don't effect me,we use a slider....just curious why folks bolt/screw from the bttm on these things?

·
"splinter picker"
24 Posts
I was looking at different guards what did you end up doing for a guard?
Pretty much like the one illustrated in the video. I've only installed one on the backside of the rear fence, no clear plastic over the top.

It's just human nature. I was focused on the material. After MANY cuts, I got reminded that the spinning sawblade is "still-a-spinning" when you push that sled across it.:blink:

For what it's worth, I'm very safety conscience... safety glasses, ear plugs, etc...

Just trying to pass along a little bit of advice. You DO NOT want to make the mistake that I did!

Beav

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
BWSMITH,

I dont think George was saying you dont need accuracy I think he was saying it was as good as I was going to ever get it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts