Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been working on a wooden gear clockand I made a mistake. In the center of one of the gears there is a .250 dowel hole that I somehow drilled crooked. Not sure what I did but it happened and now the gear wobbles pretty bad. I have looked online for a sleeve or bushing of some type, but have not been able to find anything. I was hoping someone would have an idea to help me fix this.

One thought I had was to use wood filler and re-drill it, but I wasn't sure if there was a better way to go about it.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
ihoven said:
I have been working on a wooden gear clockand I made a mistake. In the center of one of the gears there is a .250 dowel hole that I somehow drilled crooked. Not sure what I did but it happened and now the gear wobbles pretty bad. I have looked online for a sleeve or bushing of some type, but have not been able to find anything. I was hoping someone would have an idea to help me fix this.

One thought I had was to use wood filler and re-drill it, but I wasn't sure if there was a better way to go about it.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
I would make a plug out of the same wood and the same size, then glue it in and let dry. Then re drill hole.
Got any pics?

·
Registered
572 Posts
I would plug it as well. But if its in a spot that would not be seen, another option would be automotive bondo. Putty will crack as it dries.

·
The woodwrongs shoppe
665 Posts
drill it out as big as you can and plug that...then redrill the smaller hole

use a diff color wood for the plug and it will look like a part of the design

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really appreciate the advice. If nothing else this will give me an excuse to purchase a plug cutter.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
:thumbsup::thumbsup: New Tool LOL I need to remember this one

·
Registered
526 Posts
If it's not to be seen glue a dowel in it then cut it off. Allow to dry then redrill straight this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum

1 - 9 of 9 Posts