Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My father and I are building a Crokinole board for some friends, and we are ready to add the numbers and lettering to the game board.
We are trying to figure out the best method to do this. We thought about burning them in, painting etc...

I would like to use a stencil to ensure accuracy and, so that all the numbers are uniform. Currently the inner board is not stained.
I read using a permanent marker, prior to staining can work. Just need some opinions on how to best go about doing this.
My worry is the marker will bleed into the grain, or the stain will cause the marker spread out more.

Any ideas are welcome!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
That game is something I have never heard of before. In my younger days, we played Pony Express- that's post office with a bit of horsing around. >:)

·
Registered
Termite
5,280 Posts
you need to seal the board before you do anything.

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
I would either use stencils or decals.
The font size will be small, so a small artist brush or an air brush for stencils.
The decals would probably be easier and could be purchased in colors.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
You are correct the marker will bleed out into the grain making the edges fuzzy. Could you tell us more about how the table is used. Stenciling the numbers on after all the finishing process is done will make the numbers slightly raised. If the surface has to be completely smooth you would have to stencil the numbers after the initial sealing of the wood and then clear coat over. In order to do that the paint for the numbers and the clear coat should be of the same type of finish. Also the background wood being so light be sure not to use any oil based clear coatings. They tend to yellow and continue to yellow as they age.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts