Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In another post I mentioned that yesterday I was turning my very first container with a lid. The wood that I am using is from a hickory tree that I took down about 3 months ago.
As I was turning I noticed very tiny little holes in the wood. I stuck a needle in a few of the holes and found that they went in pretty deep. Then I noticed a tiny little bug come out of one of the holes....I grabbed my 12 gauge (just kidding).
I wouldn't use the word "infested" but I'm sure this hickory blank ( 5" wide X 6" long) has a few more residents in it. It's beautiful wood. How do you handle this?
I don't want to present this as a gift to somebody and have them see bugs coming out of the wood.
I'm using "Mylands" as a finish. Will that seal up the critters? What happens to these critters in the future?

Thank you
Dick

·
7,222 Posts
I would want to kill whatever bugs are in the wood. Heat such as 140 deg F from kiln drying or dilute bleach solution e.g., chlorox sprayed in the holes.

If you cover up the holes the bugs may die from lack of oxygen, or not. Only time would tell. If they do not die, they would eventually come out of their holes.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I would double wrap them in plastic and nuke them for a minute.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Microwave if the piece isn't finished. The heat can damage the finish. Put it in a bag with Moth Balls for several days if it's already done and that will kill the bugs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts