Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a few of you have built some, and a lot of you have used some. My question is: Build it solid, or able to be taken apart? Have you guys needed to break them down ever for storage? I think I'm leaning towards solid, what do you guys think?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I built two for my two GrandDaughters. Both were takeapartable. My Daughter just donated both of them to her girlfriend who is expecting tripletts.

The cribs will be used for a couple or three years, then they will be stored (or passed along) until the original occupant has kids of their own. Make it easy to take apart, store and re-assemble and they can be used for several generations.

Or, make the convertible type (both of the ones I built were). They start out as a crib and can be easily converted to a day bed, or a full size bed when the child gets older.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Hindsight has shown me that the kids grew up and were gone, far faster than I imagined.
I think it's cool to be able to offer the crib(s) to them. Let them decide.

·
Registered
12,933 Posts
Always to with the ones that can be taken apart, folded, or otherwise reduced for size in storage and/or shipping.

George

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am in the process of building one now. Actually combining 2 different cribs into one style.
I keeping the ability to break it down in the design. The main reason is that it won't be used forever, and can be stored and used again or sold afterwards.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts