Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
My wife wants an equalateral triangle shadow box. Which means I need to learn how to create 30 degree bevel cuts. I know that a 30 degree angle on the scale of my compound mister saw really means a 60 degree angle (90 - 30). So I really need to set the pointer at 60 on the scale. Not going to happen on my saw.

My question is, how do I cut such an angle?

Thanks for your help and guidance - in advance.

George

·
Making sawdust in MS
4,000 Posts
mdntrdr said:
An equilateral triangle requires 60 deg. cuts. He could attach a temporary fence to his miter saw. :smile:
That's how I did mine. Cutting a piece at 45 degrees and using it as a side fence on my miter saw I set the saw to I think it was 15 degrees and held it against the 45'd piece and cut my angles.

Wood Triangle Roof Hardwood Room

This next pic shows the 30 degree box and the 60 degree lid.

Wood Hardwood Wood stain Table Plywood

Then I splined the miters to strengthen them.

Wood Material property Finger Floor Table

I hope I explained it good enough. I can take a pic tomorrow of how I did it if it will help.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
the safest method is with an auxillary fence, as mentioned above. but you really have to clamp the workpiece to the fence, as the saw will want to pull it back when cutting.

i prefer a table saw with a sliding sled jig personally for those acute angles.

another option is to make your cuts at 60 degrees, then do a butt joint instead of a miter joint.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Boy, am I embarrassed! I failed to register the triangle part!
Anyway, my old Ridgid will swing to 60 deg, so the question never comes up for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.