Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I was wondering if any of you browse the free section of craigslist?

I have been wondering a way to get cheap materials and started to think i could get some old furniture off the free section and tear it apart?

Anyone else do this?

I also have a flooring place at the end of my road wondering if I could get floor scraps?

·
"splinter picker"
24 Posts
Had never looked at "free" in craiglist until recently.

Got me thinking that I need a small portable sawmill....

As far a the floor manufacturer goes...

Might want to ask if you can "rummage" through their cut off/scrap bin.

I got caught in a 40 yard dumpster back in Texas:blush: years ago. Just so happens it was the dayshift manager of the mill. After a short explaination that I meant no harm, just "scroungin' scraps"... he was actually cool about it. Got to know him rather well, and even got called when the store would go through "unacceptable inventory!"

Made me ABSOLUTELY SICK :furious: to have to leave essentually a 8'X4'X8' rack (think Home Depot) that was 3/4 FULL of red oak and hard maple... took a while, but I probably didn't have $300 in the whole rack.

Starting all over stinks!

Beav

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hey I was wondering if any of you browse the free section of craigslist?

I have been wondering a way to get cheap materials and started to think i could get some old furniture off the free section and tear it apart?

Anyone else do this?

I also have a flooring place at the end of my road wondering if I could get floor scraps?
You could probably get floor scraps I'm sure. Just go make friends! The only thing I'd watch for is just stay clear of anything pre-finished because the aluminum oxide finish will demolish planer blades, won't strip easily, and isn't worth the hassle. I learned the hard way.:laughing:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guess this is a newbie question then.

Planing finished furniture boards is out of the question then? Would chew up my planer?

·
Chester's Gorilla
1,282 Posts
I've done a number of things to get cheap/free wood.

1. Pallets sometimes have exotic hardwoods, especially the ones that come from overseas. I've found several treasures, but it is quite a hassle tracking them down, cutting them up, and getting them to a useful form.
2. I've made friends with some local hardwood flooring installers. They're usually really cool about giving away scraps. Nice for small projects, accents, or inlays.
3. Free furniture on craigslist. You have to know what you're looking at, though, because a lot of pieces look useable but are really disguised particle board. Also, the time involved in tracking down free stuff on craiglist sometimes makes it not worth it. Best time is Saturday and Sunday afternoons after people are finished with their garage sales.
4. Free firewood on craigslist. Use your bandsaw as a mill. Won't get many large boards, but can get plenty for small projects. I live in a high agricultural area, so there are a lot of fruit and nut trees/orchards giving away free logs.
5. Also consider making friends with someone who owns a cabinet shop. If you don't mind gluing up scraps, this can also be a good source of free wood.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts