Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It drives me nuts when people list stuff on Craigslist..and then don't respond.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
It drives me nuts when people list stuff on Craigslist..and then don't respond.
I agree but also hate adds that are incomplete. I responded to an add for black walnut lumber most 1 1/2" thick, $200.
I asked how many BF?. He responded he had not figured it out but boarded were 8 to 10 feet long. No indication of how many boards or width. I responded" Hope you have luck with your add". Some times things just aren't worth pursuing.
Tom

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
There's an ad locally that had an item I was very interested in. Unfortunately the guy didn't list a way to contact him and he turned off the reply via email option. I reported it 4 times but no update. I wonder if he ever sold it...

Mark

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
It is really a bummer when it is something you wanted..........

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
I saw the same thing happen last week.

A neighbor needed to get rid of a Lexus. Probably close to 10 years old and 400K on the Odo. Had a lot of problems.

She listed it on Craigslist at about half the book value due to all the problems in the car. Within an hour and a half she had 4 inquires.

One of the people claimed to be a mechanic. That is who she sold it to. She didn't respond to the others.

That is how it happens. If it were me, I would have deleted the ad and then replied saying it was sold.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A 16 inch band saw, turret style radial arm saw and a jointer....grrrrrr....

·
Registered
614 Posts
I've had the same experience. There's been an ad for a RAS that's posted every week. I've emailed a couple times and have not heard back.

·
Really underground garage
2,552 Posts
Our experience(small group of geezer contractors) has been,it's more entertaining than most comedy clubs.

>"did you see the one listing....?"

>"yeah,he wanted twice what a new one cost,haha"

It's a farce in an awful lot of instances.Heck,spelling alone is sure to bring a smile.BUT,be patient...and every once in a while there are some true gems.And have a medium length list of deals we've gotten for basically,beer money.

·
Old School
24,027 Posts
I've had some interesting experiences on CL. The very first items I listed were two John Deere lawn mowers. I listed my phone number, which I really shouldn't have done. The first day I received a few calls, and one of them the guy said he would be by after work to look at them.

He did, and paid cash, no negotiating. I helped him load up and off he went. A done deal.

I figured that it went so well I'd give it another try on some items that were just taking up space. I didn't list my phone number, but rather one of my disposable emails. I got nothing more than responses saying they wanted the product, and will pay in advance, and you know the rest of that scam.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Most of the ads I see people don't respond to anymore without a phone number. A lot of the ads are fake to collect your emails for spam and that's part of the reason you get no response.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Lately around here we've had other problems with craigslist. First a guy was trying to sell a motorcycle. Thug showed up, his friend snuck up behind the seller and attacked him. They stole the bike. Second, a woman called another woman about her iphone listing. Showed up at waffle house to buy it and when she went to get out of her car, a man put a gun to her and car jacked her. Latest, a man was selling his truck. Met the guys at Hardees, they had no money and he agreed to take them home and let them test drive it. They shot him in the truck, dumped his body and went to a party (of course posting pictures of them in the truck online to show off "their" ride). I had a friend trying to sell his motorcycle here and the buyer was REAL shady. I finally convinced him to cancel the meeting and the guy said "whatever, I aint got the money anyway". Just saying this as a reminder to be cautious when doing business on craigslist. I do find it a lot of fun to mess with the obvious scammers though.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm fairly convinced of the legitimacy of this ad, as it's a local business....which I also tried calling but the guy I needed to talk to was in a meeting....

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yea if you are patient and know what you are looking at there are deals to be made. Picked up a while back a jet mini lathe for $90. Cleaned it up, was in A-1 shape , came with probably a $100 worth of pen making supplies and accessories. Got a dewalt scrollsaw dirt cheap also. Have to know the prices, AND be careful. I laugh at the people who put harbor freight tools on ebay and jack up the price for a profit, but people apparently buy them. Go figure. :)

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
CL is kind of a headache whether you are buying or selling, or at least some of the time it is. Still, in my area, it's sometimes the best way to sell something. That's not true for buying however. The non-response is only one of several goofy things that go on.

·
Registered
43 Posts
What drives me crazy about CL in my area are tool resellers. There are 2 people who make a business from buying up all of the tools that are a decent buy then re-listing them at nearly new prices. I don't know how they sell at some of the prices they list however evidently they get some suckers. The only time I can find a decent tool buy is if I see an ad right after listing!

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
What drives me crazy about CL in my area are tool resellers. There are 2 people who make a business from buying up all of the tools that are a decent buy then re-listing them at nearly new prices. I don't know how they sell at some of the prices they list however evidently they get some suckers. The only time I can find a decent tool buy is if I see an ad right after listing!
Sort of like the stuff you see on e-bay.

There was one guy around here that was trying to buy boxes for power tools. He was selling a lot of stuff that evidently was found at estate sales.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
it is like any other buying/selling venue- there are deals to be had- there are scammers- crooks- high- low prices- junk and great stuff. Just a different medium. Used to be called the want ads. sometimes you get stuff like this.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 38 Posts