Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an older craftsman tablesaw a while ago, the solid cast iron top + wings "3" hp model, belt drive, etc.

It's a decent saw, but I have one big issue, the blade guard/riving knife that came with it never fits square to the blade, so I'm always having to bump it so that I can feed wood through and have the riving knife actually work. Basically, the knife is a few mm's proud of the blade on one side, so the wood bumps into it and stops instead of going around it.

I've seen all the new saws have a riving knife that seems to be attached internally, and I'm wondering if there's any way to update the craftsman to house something similar. The blade guard works fine, but having the off centered knife attached to it makes maintaining basic safety a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
I have to say that I love my saw especially since I modified it.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
To clarify, you're saw has a traditional splitter....a riving knife travels up, down, and tilts with the blade. It should be possible to adjust your splitter to line up with the blade so that it's not proud unless you have a super thin blade.... it'll always be a little cumbersome. Microjig makes a fixed splitter that mounts to the throat insert that might be of some interest to you, as does Sharkguard, but there are no aftermarket riving knives that I know of that will fit your saw.

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
If your saw is similar to the saw that sleeper posted then it has a splitter, not a riving knife. A riving knife move up and down with the blade where a splitter will only tilt.

Anyhow, there are adjustments on the splitter. Sounds like you need to loosen the two screws where the splitter plate mounts to the bracket and adjust it slightly.

If you dont need your splitter to move at all, Microjig has another option.

http://www.microjig.com/products/mj-splitter/index.shtml

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
Guss I was a little late on that one!!

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
The guard/splitter has 3 parts that are adjustable. The blade support assembly attaches to the cast trunion with 2 bolts and allows a bit of adjustment for the vertical axis. The spreader support attaches to that by sliding on a metal dowel and is locked with a wingnut. That dowel adjusts left/right to allow centering the spreader behind the saw blade. Also there are 2 bolts that attach the guard + splitter to the support, allowing for the splitter to be made parallel to the blade.

My splitter measures just about .090 thick and getting it aligned with a thin kerf blade without binding is a chore.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. I think I'm going to look into one of those throat plate splitter things... those are neat!:thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts