Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old mod. 113.298032 belt drive.... It doesn't have a way to lock the blade when changing...
I usually jam a scrap piece under it, but am always afraid of damaging the blade....
Need some education.....

·
Registered
242 Posts
That is the way I do mine. I have a piece of solid oak that is marked blade changer that hangs with my wrenches. My craftsman did not have a blade lock nor does my Grizzly.
I have never seen a table saw with a lock. Just remember you do not have to crank the blade on to tight, just snug then a little more.
No reason to thing a piece of wood will hurt the blade, those carbide tips are a lot harder than the wood.

·
Registered
28,386 Posts
Look at the arbor. There may be a place to put a narrow 7/8" wrench on it to hold the shaft. The saw I have came with a wrench that was about 1/8" thick. It's the same with the Delta Unisaw I have now. If that is the way your saw works there was a set of the wrenches on ebay last week.

·
7,222 Posts
My first tablesaw had a machined arbor, so two wrenches, one for the arbor and one for the nut.

I now have the latest Delta Unisaw which has a button to lock the arbor.

Using a piece of wood will not damage the teeth of the blade. You just want to ensure the piece is engaging the teeth and not flexing the steel of the blade. It would be possible to flex the steel and cause the blade to be slightly warped.

You can make your own blade changing lock based on the commercial designs. A couple of 1/4in dowels for the lock in a piece of scrap plywood.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?p=60444&cat=1,41080,51225&ap=1

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
113 series TSs do not have arbors that accept "hold back" wrenches. And I believe the techies at Freud frown on using blocks of wood to hold the blade when loosening the arbor nut. If the arbor nut is attached properly, it is only snugged up while holding the blade with a protective glove. I've done this on both counter and clockwise threaded arbors and have never had one come loose. There's no need to "sock" the arbor nut home when tightening it. The blade's rotation naturally tightens it when the saw is running.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.