Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am new to this board, long time lurker, but first post.

I am looking for the new table saw and this one is available on the local CL.

I am usually working on quite precise and small pieces, and accuracy is one of the most important thing for me.
It comes with brand new bed rails and rip fence in the box. Same as the one installed.

It is priced at $300. I do not have any experience with craftsman tools hence this thread.

It this saw decent and is the price fair. it runs smoothly, and quietly.
It is belt driven saw with the motor sticking out at the back.

Thanks in advance for the answers.

Best.

Radovan

Attachments

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
That's a very nice saw with a very useable fence...I'd aim for 250, although you could probably sell the extra fence for 100 bucks...

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
You should have no problem getting 100 bucks for the extra fence....so 300 is probably a good deal still.

·
Registered
7 Posts
What year is it from? What is the HP of the motor? Single phase or three? RPM's? How much plastic is incorporated to the table, fence, etc. How is the tension on The belt? Is the belt still good? Any test cuts?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is a three it four years old.
I believe it is 2 HP, with good belt tension and good belt.
There is not a lots of plastic incorporated, just the sliders on the fence.
It cuts ok, the blade is shot, and I didn't brought my blade, but the cut was still deacent.
Thanks.
R.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
ninz30 said:
What year is it from? What is the HP of the motor? Single phase or three? RPM's? How much plastic is incorporated to the table, fence, etc. How is the tension on The belt? Is the belt still good? Any test cuts?
From the picture....it should be late 90's or early 2000's, 1.5 real hp, single phase. Very little plastic, none in the top or case with really just handles being plastic. Those are pretty solid saws with the usual exception being the fences, although this one has a pretty desirable fence.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Looks like a deal to me; solid saw that looks like it wasn't used much. That mobile base isn't cheap and you can sell the extra fence (love to hear the story behind that).

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
successor saw for c-man to the 113 series saws that were built by emerson electric. the linked saw was built for sears by OWT (ryobi). if i'm right, the model number will begin with 315, followed by a period and then six more numbers. same saw (for all intents and purposes) as the venreabel 113 series saws built for sears. should be a 1.0 - 1.5 real HP motor, perhaps even a dual voltage motor. nice CI wings, crummy mobile base (a herc-u-lift would bolt right on, if one could be located on CL or ebay) and the fence system is solid and will hold it's alignment. the single biggest drawback to the saw is it's splitter/blade guard.

unlike the 113 series saws, removal and reinstallation of the splitter is not facilitated by the system emerson used that ensures splitter alignment is retained after reinstallation. the model number will confirm or refute that. is a model number available?

$300 is a bit rich for that saw. $200 - 250 wold be more than fair, with $350 being too high, IMHO.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
successor saw for c-man to the 113 series saws that were built by emerson electric. the linked saw was built for sears by OWT (ryobi). if i'm right, the model number will begin with 315, followed by a period and then six more numbers. same saw (for all intents and purposes) as the venreabel 113 series saws built for sears. should be a 1.0 - 1.5 real HP motor, perhaps even a dual voltage motor. nice CI wings, crummy mobile base (a herc-u-lift would bolt right on, if one could be located on CL or ebay) and the fence system is solid and will hold it's alignment. the single biggest drawback to the saw is it's splitter/blade guard.

unlike the 113 series saws, removal and reinstallation of the splitter is not facilitated by the system emerson used that ensures splitter alignment is retained after reinstallation. the model number will confirm or refute that. is a model number available?

$300 is a bit rich for that saw. $200 - 250 wold be more than fair, with $350 being too high, IMHO.

Thanks for the elaborate reply.
I don't have model number, and the splitter is bolted with 3 bolts (or it should be, it is missing one bracket) one the the top, and two at the back.
I can only imagine the pain to remove it and realign it.

Am I then better off with Ridgid? (my second pick)
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/ridgid-10-in-portable-table-saw-with-stand/906102

It is couple hundred more, or bit less if on sale.

Thanks again.

R.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Thanks for the elaborate reply.
I don't have model number, and the splitter is bolted with 3 bolts (or it should be, it is missing one bracket) one the the top, and two at the back.
I can only imagine the pain to remove it and realign it.

Am I then better off with Ridgid? (my second pick)
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/ridgid-10-in-portable-table-saw-with-stand/906102

It is couple hundred more, or bit less if on sale.

Thanks again.

R.
Not that one IMO....you'd be going from a decent full size belt driven saw to a smaller portable saw with a direct drive universal motor. With an extra fence, that Cman is worth the agree upon price IMO....sell the extra fence, making the total outlay closer to $200. It's made by TTI/Ryobi, who also made the former Ridgid 3650....lots of similarities. FWIW, it would have been made between roughly 1997 and 2004.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I still think with the fence, 300 is a fair price as its an easy 100 bucks.

And no, don't buy a portable saw!!!!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Not that one IMO....you'd be going from a decent full size belt driven saw to a smaller portable saw with a direct drive universal motor. With an extra fence, that Cman is worth the agree upon price IMO....sell the extra fence, making the total outlay closer to $200. It's made by TTI/Ryobi, who also made the former Ridgid 3650....lots of similarities. FWIW, it would have been made between roughly 1997 and 2004.
and yet, the 3650 retained the emerson electric model splitter mounting system which facilitated easy removal and re-installation.

if new is a consideration, i'd skip the portable saw and look at the 4512:

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/10-Cast-Iron-Table-Saw/

if a HD can be found hat will honor the harbor freight "20% off any single item" coupon, it may be had for $400. several units have had a problem with blade alignment reportedly shifting relative to the miter slot as the blade elevation is changed, but if one can be located that doesn't have that issue, it's a saw that delivers a lot of utility for a relatively small price. and ridgid's LSA (lifetime service agreement; free repairs, parts and labor, for life) can't be beat.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Your still If you can find a Home Depot that will sell it for 400, looking at 400 vs 200 for what looks like a almost new saw (200 after selling the extra fence)

I'd go with the craftsman hands down.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So did you buy it?
Yes I did.
Already got micro jig splitters and will get grr-riper to eliminate need of saw guard that is complicated to install. The saw was obviously used very little, and after minor alignment and top polishing it works like a charm.
I managed to get price down to 280.

Thak you all for advices.

Radovan

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Yes I did.
Already got micro jig splitters and will get grr-riper to eliminate need of saw guard that is complicated to install. The saw was obviously used very little, and after minor alignment and top polishing it works like a charm.
I managed to get price down to 280.

Thak you all for advices.

Radovan
Excellent! Put a good blade on it, and you should be set. Pics?!!!!! (in your shop) :thumbsup:

·
Registered
530 Posts
Congrats. I think you got a deal as is (hopefully the lady doesn't have starving children), let alone after you sell the additional fence. Post pics once set up in your shop.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts