Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I am pretty new here. I have done some searching on this site. I am trying to get a hold of a motor mount for a craftsman 113 table saw. I bought a used 113 of my local classified, it worked great and then on transport the motor mount bolt rattled loose and dropped, cracking the mounting plate. I have seen some on ebay, but with shipping and the price they charge its almost as much as a new saw. I went to my local metal work shop to get them to either weld the crack or make a new one out of steel and they said it would cost me a few hundred bucks either way.

Anyone have any other advice or just bite the bullet?

Thanks again,

Stephen

·
where's my table saw?
29,637 Posts
Need photos of the cracked mount and the full model number. That 113- covers a lot of saws. Your's is a common issue, so probably there is an answer.
Typically, a crack means it's a cast iron mount. Cast iron can be brazed, not welded ..... unless you are a "pro".
Steel is more likely to bend than crack. Steel can easily be welded.
It may also be in two pieces, two rods connected to a plate?
Not going to be several hundred dollars:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry I guess I was way too generalized.

It is Cast iron, and I am just quoting their price. I am in a fairly remote spot so I only have the one company. Those are the ones I have found on ebay but with shipping and everything it came out to just under 200 bucks. Again, I am fairly remote.

Here is a photo of the mount from my Craftsman 113.298240, I think its called the 113298142 without all the addons
Wood Gas Composite material Auto part Metal
Wood Gas Composite material Auto part Metal

·
where's my table saw?
29,637 Posts
Sorry I guess I was way too generalized.

It is Cast iron, and I am just quoting their price. I am in a fairly remote spot so I only have the one company. Those are the ones I have found on ebay but with shipping and everything it came out to just under 200 bucks. Again, I am fairly remote.

Here is a photo of the mount from my Craftsman 113.298240, I think its called the 113298142 without all the addons
View attachment 431531 View attachment 431531

I found this:

Cost $68.00 plus $14 shipping

·
where's my table saw?
29,637 Posts
That's pretty much all I cared about, shipping to the USA.
If the OP is not in the USA, that must means it's in Canada from the flag avatar.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah sorry, I didn't even think to mention I am Canadian.

I have seen the ones on ebay all ranging from 50-175 US, plus 65 US for shipping. I am grasping at straws here for a fix, I was just surprised at how much I was quoted to get the part replaced

·
Registered
13,245 Posts
Hey Everyone,

I am pretty new here. I have done some searching on this site. I am trying to get a hold of a motor mount for a craftsman 113 table saw. I bought a used 113 of my local classified, it worked great and then on transport the motor mount bolt rattled loose and dropped, cracking the mounting plate. I have seen some on ebay, but with shipping and the price they charge its almost as much as a new saw. I went to my local metal work shop to get them to either weld the crack or make a new one out of steel and they said it would cost me a few hundred bucks either way.

Anyone have any other advice or just bite the bullet?

Thanks again,

Stephen
I would try another machine shop. "a few hundred bucks" for welding is ludicrous.

George

·
Registered
13,245 Posts
Welding cast iron isnt easy and shop time isnt cheap. I could very easily see a welding job on a cast iron part costing a few hundred bucks, if for no reason other than the job being a royal PITA and the shop not wanting to refuse the work, but also wanting to make it difficult for the customer to say yes. Welding a crack like that together would require grinding out the crack, fixturing the entire part to keep it from warping during the welding process, a thorough preheat of the entire piece to prevent the cast iron from cracking during the weld, either welding with a special welding rod for cast iron (which is nearly an order of magnitude more expensive than standard welding rod) or brazing (also not cheap), a lengthy post-heat and cooling process to keep the part from cooling too fast and cracking the cast iron, and even after all that its still completely possible for the part to crack anyways, or for the weld to fail.

Personally, if i were running a job shop i wouldnt touch something like that for less than a few hundred either, too much work otherwise.

Quick and dirty trick, drill and tap 2 new holes, one on either side of the crack. Get a bar of 1/8" thick steel, drill a set of matching holes, bolt that steel piece to the saw part, thus bracing the piece and keeping it from completely failing. Is it as strong as the original part? Hell no, and itll look like crap too, but itll keep your motor attached and the saw working, plus itll cost about $10
You are saying the motor mount is cast iron?

The one on my old Crftsman is not cast.

George

·
That Guy
488 Posts
There is a Craftsman table saw for sale near me with a bad motor. It's model 113.29570. If the mount in it is the same as your model I could go and buy the saw and ship you the part. I'm in Canada so shipping won't be international and they only want $25CDN for the saw.

Up to you to go get both manuals and see if this saw uses the same mount.

Jeff

·
Super Moderator
5,365 Posts
Do you remember the old saying: "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything"? Mods can't read every post so messes like this sometimes goes unnoticed. I for one appreciate the report that the thread went south. If we get more posts like in this thread, we will either remove the posts or just shut down the thread. Also, the OP hasn't returned and I can't blame him. Good grief.

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
With respect, is there any reason that some posts that had nothing to do with any argument aside from the user who posted them got deleted entirely, while other users had their posts removed much more selectively?

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
So a post detailing why the cost of a professional repair makes sense and offering an alternate solution doesnt "make sense", but a post where there removed post is quotes in it's entirety just so someone else can attempt to condescendingly correct it is just fine?

Gotta say, that doesn't make much sense, if only for the reason that now there's a comment writing a comment that no longer exists. It also casts the "without prejudice" statement into question since again, seems like some users had their posts much more selectively removed

1 - 16 of 16 Posts