Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
where's my table saw?
29,626 Posts
Yes, it's a good "deal" for the price

The rust can be removed with some hand work or a random orbit sander and mineral spirits, the fence is not real good, the motor horse power is not listed on the ad, but should be at least 1 HP. and some parts are available from:
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/par...00040549/00005?blt=06&prst=0&shdMod=113298240

It is definitely a starter saw and better than some others with aluminum table tops and off size miter slots. A good clean up and proper adjustment and you could be makin' dust .... listen to the motor for squeaks or squeels and vibrations. A new belt will smooth things out. AND most importantly get a new blade like a 10" Freud Diablo 40 tooth to start with. :eek:
About $30.00 at Home Despot.
A good blade will make all the difference. Avoid Harbor Fright's blades. :thumbdown:

·
Registered
401 Posts
This is pretty much the same saw I have (113-298032) .... I'm assuming its belt drive, and not cable....
They're 1 HP , and are a very good saw (my opinion).... Vintage is 1990-1991...
The table can be brought back ok, but I would also be concerned with the fence condition .....
I don't think you can get a replacement from Sears..... That would leave the aftermarket ....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your help... I currently have a delta shopmaster direct drive that I hate it's so loud I'm scared the neighbors will start a riot every time I turn it on. And it's limiting with its small size and miter gauge..

Regarding the craftsman does $75 seem like a good price? Doesn't look to have miter gauge or bald guard (2 things I will be in desperate need of)

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
$75 isn't bad, but i don't see a miter gauge or the splitter/blade guard. $50 is all i'd pay for it,provided the motor worked well, the arbor bearings weren't fried and the trunions were intact (not cracked or damaged). having said that, a few dollars more and it can be turned into something like this, which i kept when i sold a unisaw i refurbished.

Attachments

·
DRTYBYRD
484 Posts
I am looking to purchase a good older table saw to:

A) make good cuts to make furniture and gt started in woodworking
B) learn the inner workings of table saw
C) last along time until I can afford a cabinet saw

I found this on Craigslist http://charlotte.craigslist.org/tls/3838448188.html

Does this look to be a good deal?
If you pick it up. I got a couple miter gauges for that style. Just upgraded from a similar model and the miters don't work for my new one. Yours for the cost of shipping from AZ if you want.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank a for all the help..i spoke to the Owner who says the saw was her fathers who passed away. She recently inherited their house and was selling all his old tools etc. She mentioned how the saw remained untouched for roughly 10 years!! Is that something to be concerned about? Is that too long for it to just sit there?

Meanwhile I have seen this listing which looks like it may even be a better deal... http://charlotte.craigslist.org/tls/3875368283.html

Cast iron extensions (last one was steel) 3hp... And miter gauge not sure about bald guard / splitter

·
DRTYBYRD
484 Posts
I purchased mine under similar circumstances. I had mine for 4+ years. Still working just wanted to take it to another level.

Also, as it was suggested to me, I purchased a Delta T2 fence/rail system and it worked well for me. Took that off and added it to my new-ish craftsman hybrid.

·
Dumbest Smart Person
434 Posts
Make sure the table is flat enough for you. Bring a straight edge. That old craftsman stuff is often warped(mine was).

I wouldn't worry about the lack of miter gauge, the stock one is total crap. Really sloppy. Grab an incra.

Plan on buying a power twist belt if there's vibration while it's running, or the old belt looks like it's falling apart. http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=6040

·
Registered
401 Posts
RobinDobbie said:
Make sure the table is flat enough for you. Bring a straight edge. That old craftsman stuff is often warped(mine was).

I wouldn't worry about the lack of miter gauge, the stock one is total crap. Really sloppy. Grab an incra.

Plan on buying a power twist belt if there's vibration while it's running, or the old belt looks like it's falling apart. http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=6040
Sloppy how ??

·
Dumbest Smart Person
434 Posts
The whole thing. But what I was fighting today was slop in the bar. The bar's just too small. I could have made a gauge, or fixed this one, but I just ordered one I know won't suck.

·
Registered
470 Posts
If it has a plastic nut like this one pictured for the screws to operate pass at any price unless you know of someone that can make one of brass for a price that would make you happy.

Attachments

·
Dumbest Smart Person
434 Posts
In my opinion, I'd check out the cheaper one and see if the table is flat. If it is, it might be worth a few minutes of sanding. The $150 one has the crap fence that definitely needs to be replaced, so I'd save money for a decent fence and miter gauge. Stamped steel isn't the best, but it'll do. I don't know if I'd like all the gaps in the wings on the $150 one. Finally, I've read not to be enticed by Craftsman's 3 H.P. rating, it's more like 1 honest H.P..

Then again, the innards of the newer saw may need less loving than the cheap one.

Keep an eye out for something like this in your area: http://dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/tls/3875520685.html

It's got a fence you can actually use and adjust. Plus t-tracks. Possibly t-slits on the miter slots.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Is it worth it to get the 3hp one?

you will soon learn that the HP ratings on those older emerson electric made in the usa for sears TSs DO NOT possess 3 hp motors. almost all newer 3 hp motors are 220v. the motor on that linked c-man is either 1 or 1.5 hp like the motor on the saw i pictured above.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/tls/3875368283.html it's twice price of other craftsman model and an hr away.. As opposed to 15 minutes for the ther one
the pluses for the $150 TS are the CI extension wings, the belt drive motor, it's condition (which is good) and the fence, which is a little better version of the fences that were OEM for these saws and were generally not regarded well. those fences only offered 24" of rip capacity to the right of the blade. the front and rear rails on this saw are longer so, with a little work, it may be made somewhat serviceable. eventually, replacement with a better OEM ridigd brand fence, or a vega or delta t2, would greatly enhance the saw's ripping performance.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Craftsman made more than one version of belt driven saws. You might want to be sure which version these saws have since not all had the hinged motor off the rear where a motor and belt could be readily purchased most anywhere. The other belt system is a pain and the motor is Craftsman specific along with the belt being ridiculously priced.

·
Paul
24 Posts
I just bough one

But mine was in better shape. The fence was junk and I upgraded it to a Vega 40" fence system. The saw cost me $150 and The fence cost $253. With a good blade I will be making furniture.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
The so called 3hp motors are actually about 13 amps which is the same as the $75 saw. The CI wings are probably better than the sheet metal ones and the holes keep anyone from sitting drinks on your saw. Either saw will clean up and make a nice saw for just about anything you want to do. These fences can be cleaned up and made to work ok but you will definitely want a better fence soon. Miter gauges are available at several places. I bought a nice Ridgid fence from HD. I also have an Incra.......save your money and just buy one for about $25. A good Freud blade and you'll be cutting wood.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts