Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on fixing up a craftsman 113.299040 saw. It is only 1 HP, so I'm inclined to use a thin-kerf blade to reduce strain on the blade.

Does anyone know how thick the stock splitter is on the craftsman saws? I'm having difficulty measuring accurately, but I want to make sure that I don't buy a blade that is thinner than the splitter.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
The stock splitter should be less than 3/32", so you should be fine with a standard 10" 3/32" TK. Avoid the ultra TK's and smaller diameter blades with smaller kerfs, and you should be fine.

·
7,222 Posts
Does anyone know how thick the stock splitter is on the craftsman saws? I'm having difficulty measuring accurately, but I want to make sure that I don't buy a blade that is thinner than the splitter.
Sounds like you do not have a dial caliper. Highly recommended to have a dial caliper in the shop. I use mine many times a day.

In the meantime, if you have a set of drill bits, hold the solid end of a drill bit against the steel plate of the blade. The fingers will be able to tell if the bit is thinner or thicker or the same thickness as the steel.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. I do need to get a caliper. I've been trying to make sense of the options. Digital seems like overkill to me, but I think metal would be better than plastic. Do you have one that you like?

·
Registered
530 Posts

·
7,222 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I do need to get a caliper. I've been trying to make sense of the options. Digital seems like overkill to me, but I think metal would be better than plastic. Do you have one that you like?
Yes, I started with a cheap plastic one. I liked the fractions, but not as accurate.

I later purchased one which displayed in decimal, one revolution = 0.1in. Very accurate. A pain to read and translate to fractions.

I ended up with this one. Fractions easy to read, decimal scale if needed. I broke the plastic lens, then broke the needle, so I recently replaced since I like it so much.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Fractional-Dial-Caliper/D3208

I also have a digital display. Be aware these are accurate only if used in decimal mode. If used in fraction mode, they display to the nearest 1/64in which is not as accurate as I wanted. I no longer use this caliper.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts