Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Exiled to Missouri
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Despite liking my tablesaw jointer method. I saw this Craftsman 351.227240 jointer on Craigslist, listed for $150. The table had a lot of surface rust, so I offered $120 and it was accepted. I think I got a good deal. What say y'all: Did I score or waste my money?

Pic is after I spent an hour cleaning up the table.

Attachments

·
where's my table saw?
27,868 Posts
Very nice "score"!

It's got adjustable in and outfeed tables by the looks of the knob underneath... a good feature the old Craftsman's don't have.

I have an older one and the newer version and I like them both. It's a good jointer and you paid a good price for it. :yes:

·
where's my table saw?
27,868 Posts
now you'll need to get some jointing skills

This is not a machine to be casual about. It's less prone to kickback for sure unlike a table saw. You need to get the outfeed table level across the tips of the blade to avoid curving the edges and faces. Edge jointing is easier than face jointing because there is less material being removed it's easier to push the stock. Face jointing requires very fine cuts because more material is being removed and it may bog down a 1 HP motor if "pushed" to fast.

PUSH BLOCKS are a MUST! They must be very "sticky" on the bottom to avoid slipping OR the should hook over the edge securely and be able to be pressed down and forward simultaneously. I use 60 grit sandpaper on some of mine which provides a good grip.

Consider the jointer a giant hand plane and when you look down the board's edge and face see what it tells you. It may be cupped or curved and need material removed in just certain areas. It's not a "one pass" does it all machine. It may take several passes from either end to get the unneeded material removed., a little at a time.

·
Really underground garage
2,552 Posts
That looks like a nice jointer.

When you are first getting the hang of it.....try and use material thats easy to handle.Find a project where you need some multiple bd glue-ups.

Take some 1x4,1x5,or 1x6 and joint the edges.Make them less than say 4' long.Maybe a storage shelf for your shop?

The build here or practice is to see if you can get your jointed edges to be so close that there isn't any visible cracks.....when you're dry fitting them.You can lay the bds on your tablesaw for this fitting.With a tuned jointer and practice you should be doing these in very quick fashion.

Got to say,I really like my jointers to sit on the left side of the tablesaw.I run the cut on saw and without even turning it off go straight to jointer.....then back to saw.Keeping the distance between the two as close as possible.

You'll get the hang of it pretty quick,just be safe.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I scored that exact same jointer in my area for $180 and had to race several others down to where the owner lived to beat them to it. You got a great deal so bask in the glow of your success.:smile:

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
I think You got a great deal.
I paid $100 for mine and it was older and in real bad shape. I'm still working on it. :smile: Oh and I had to buy a new set of knives because the the ones that came with it were chewed up

·
where's my table saw?
27,868 Posts
that's a lot of fussin'

Here's the straight line rip jig I made. I got the idea from someone...?
The whole process takes just seconds to attach the board with the toggles and then make the pass... no fussin':

I needed to straight line many, actually dozens of pieces, so I made a "jig" rather than scab on strips each time, which is way too time consuming for me.... "snap on" then rip and "snap off'"...next piece... :yes:
I made two sizes,one long enough for 8 footers and a 54" for shorter boards. I used 1/4" hardboard for the bottom and a 1 X 3" piece of Oak for the toggles to mount on. It looks like this:

·
Registered
423 Posts
I have tried several of these jigs. They still never seem to work out, can you achieve a good glueable seamless joint with that. Maybe I'm just not putting enough time into building the jig. I just always throw it together last min, it doesn't work like I thought it would and I end up going back to my no. 5 to make it perfect. Which takes me well.. a long time lol.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I used to use a jig like woodnthings, and it worked very well with a proper glue line rip blade.

I've not used it since I got a jointer plane, with less fuss and can get a glue line ready to go pretty fast with it.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I have been looking for a good user no.7 or 8 for a long time. I just can't find. One in that good price range. I'm very cheap lol. I almost fainted several times looking through the veritas catalog. That stuff is really nice but boy are they proud of it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts