Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Looks good but it also looks like projects such as the one shown could take many hours to complete. Of course, I guess you don't have to be there while it's running.

·
Banned
6,836 Posts
I have been looking for one of these but didn't want to spend $1,800 plus on this. I think under $1,100 is a better deal. Anyone have any feedback or use this before? The video provided makes it look really easy.

This is where I found it:
http://www.dealmonger.com/CarveWright-3D-Woodworking-System/

Thoughts...

No thoughts but was looking for the same help. If you get it please let us know your opinion. Some of us including me are also interested in how good or bad it is.

Does anyone have an opinion on other machines like it?

Sorry didn't mean to hijack your thread.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No Worries

Not a problem. I did a little more research and it seems pretty easy too use. I was looking to do somethings for a guitar and this will work. I still would like some other peoples opinions though.
Thanks

·
Registered
356 Posts
cnc

i havent heard good things about it acually. It takes way to long and the cut quality isnt that great. Im acually about to purchase a small shop bot, 4x4 model for doing odd and end things. If all i use it for is making different jigs and templates then its money well spent, IMO.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
I recently bought a used MillRoute Carving System. I made a table for it the other day and have just been playing and experimenting.I am having fun with it and it got me thinking about buying a CNC machine. My question is "How much do I need to spend?"
I dont anticipate either myself or the machine to be busy more than occasionally. I want to be able to make signs and do carvings on cabinet doors.
I am not trying to hyjack this thread or I would have started a new one.
Does anyone on here actually own the CarveWright machine to make a comment? I, like jondealfinder, am curious to know if this machine will work for me. The width capacity is 14.5" max. That means most cabinet doors probably wont fit after they are assembled. It certainly is not practical to ask other cabinet makers to bring over the panels without the frames. That brings to mind the CNC Shark. Is that good enough?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Craftsman Carver

Unless you are mechanically inclined, into electronics, and can learn computer programming really well, then I would recommend you stay away from this machine. I purchased a machine directly from LHR in Pasadena, Tx. and it was the worst money I ever spent. These machines are very high maintenance and frustrating. Go to the CarveWright forum and you will see how much trouble people have with them. There are parts that fail regularly (such as the bit chuck ) on the machine that are not warrantied and are high dollar to replace them. The Sears warranty is a joke as well as the LHR warranty. Sears doesn't have any qualified or LHR trained people to work on the machines. It will usually take approx. one to three months to get your machine back from repairs when you send it in to Sears. Go read about it on the CW forums. I purchased every accessory when I bought my machine and have almost $3000.00 tied up in it. I have also purchased a lot of spare parts for it. Like I said, worst mistake I ever made as far as purchasing a wood shop tool. Save your money and buy something you don't have to repair every time you want to use it. Now this is just my personal opinion. There are a lot of happy owners and good operating machines out there, but mine is not one of them as far as I am concerned. I just don't like the high maintenance to keep it operating. I am thinking about taking mine to a pawn shop or land fill. Reminds me of when I worked on helicopters, eight hour maintenance for every one hour of flying time. Seems like two to four hours maintenance for every project carved. Good luck in your choice.

James

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.