Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I just bought the Craftsman Professional 6 1/8 1hp jointer at an auction. When I got it home I realized it was wired for 240v (the plug gave it away). I need to get it back to 120 and there are no wiring diagrams on the motor. Can anyone help me make sense of many wires coming out of the motor housing? I tried to call Craftsman and after spending 45 minutes on the phone to various Sears/Craftsman call centers all over the world I finally got a very poor response: they told me to go to one of their repair centers and try and talk to a repair technician...and no, I couldn't call them directly. Very frustrating. All I need is the wiring diagram for this motor.

can anyone out there help me?

Many thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I own the manual. It has no wiring diagrams. All it says is that it has been factory wired for 15 amp 120. Obviously, the last owner re-wired for 240. (He/She is much smarter than me when it comes to wiring)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Take the wire inlet cover off the motor, it may be on the inside.
If the motor is 110/220 the wiring diagram will most probably will be in/on it.
jim
Is that the non adjustable out feed table model?
I had one of those.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks jim

Yeah, I removed the wire inlet cover - That's how I found out all the wires are numbered. There is nothing on the inside of it. The wires are numbered so I know there must have been a diagram somewhere at some time that referred to those numbers.

The outfeed table is adjustable with a wheel, the infeed is a cumbersome looking lever. I've got 50 bf of hard maple just waiting to be put through it - if I could just fire the darn thing up!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Try this it should help. The key is to go from series to parallel connection. Hope this helps.

Low Voltage

Blue--------
|---------Line 1 (black)
Orange------

Black -------
|---------Line 2 (white)
Yellow-------

High Voltage

Blue------------------Line 1 (black)

Orange-------
|---------Insulate
Black -------

Yellow--------------Line 2 (white)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks Baldy,

I continued this thread in the power tools section (where I should have started it in the first place) and got some great advice and excellent diagrams from bigredc. You can see how that discussion went there.

FYI - I've solved the wiring issue and I'm now on to a power issue.

I'm grateful for everyone's help,
Brad

1 - 8 of 8 Posts