Woodworking Talk banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
My son did end out taking one of the inserts as opposed to all five. He may or may not get to it as I told him of the current situation here. He said it would ultimately take him little time to CAD-up. He also wondered if just a blank would be enough, leaving the various size holes to be cut by the user...additionally he wondered if a blank could be created with punch-out circles added. I will update here if he finds the time.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I did have one question though, never having used a router table...while most of the inserts just had circles of varying diameters, one of the inserts is notched. Can someone explain the purpose of the notch?
Wood Material property Art Font Tints and shades

Thanks.

·
where's my table saw?
31,293 Posts
Those inserts are for "clearance" around different size router bits. They are not made to a precise dimension. I would guess that 3 sizes would suffice, 3/8" , 7/8" and 1 1/8". If there's a need for a larger hole size, it could be drilled out from a smaller one. Or just raise the spinning bit up into one that's secured in place?
Once the OD is set up, it can't be too much more trouble to make the centers different sizes?
Maybe, a blank plate would be a good idea for smaller bits as suggested?

I have no clue regarding the notch, and have never seen that before.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Those inserts are for "clearance" around different size router bits. They are not made to a precise dimension. I would guess that 3 sizes would suffice, 3/8" , 7/8" and 1 1/8". If there's a need for a larger hole size, it could be drilled out from a smaller one. Or just raise the spinning bit up into one that's secured in place?
Once the OD is set up, it can't be too much more trouble to make the centers different sizes?
Maybe, a blank plate would be a good idea for smaller bits as suggested?

I have no clue regarding the notch, and have never seen that before.
Yeah, understood the purpose of the different diameters...it was just the notch I did not. There are 5 inserts in the pack with one being the notched one pictured which does represent a unique diameter.
You are correct, with the CAD software, changing the hole diameter would not be difficult... Just thought if one design could somehow accommodate all five of the current diameters then we are talking 1 part and not 5.

Thanks

·
where's my table saw?
31,293 Posts
Yeah, understood the purpose of the different diameters...it was just the notch I did not. There are 5 inserts in the pack with one being the notched one pictured which does represent a unique diameter.
You are correct, with the CAD software, changing the hole diameter would not be difficult... Just thought if one design could somehow accommodate all five of the current diameters then we are talking 1 part and not 5.

Thanks
I could be wrong, but if only one size would actually work, I think all the major companies would be doing it that way. I appreciate your thinking about it in a new way, however. When you are making 5 vs 5,000 you can make them in entirely different ways. I was in charge of making devices for the handicapped students at a rehab facility and that was THE hardest thing to do, making them in small numbers by limited means, hand tools, milling machines, etc.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi again,
Yeah, I'd like to have one. Very generous, thank you. I can also get access to a 3D printer through the local library. I would guess a lot of libraries across the country also have included Maker Spaces. If the file for the 3D print was available I could make one for my friend who also has the same saw. It kind of trades time (drawing the CAD) for money (shipping) but it could make the part available to a larger audience. I'll send a PM
Sorry about the wait for a response. I had a long Easter weekend. :)

·
Registered
mechanical engineering
251 Posts
the slot in the small insert
I'm not sure which one owner's manual I saw it in but it was made for the sabre saw mounted under the table.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi again,
Yeah, I'd like to have one. Very generous, thank you. I can also get access to a 3D printer through the local library. I would guess a lot of libraries across the country also have included Maker Spaces. If the file for the 3D print was available I could make one for my friend who also has the same saw. It kind of trades time (drawing the CAD) for money (shipping) but it could make the part available to a larger audience. I'll send a PM
Sorry about the wait for a response. I had a long Easter weekend. :)
Ok, I will let my son know that you responded and that will give him some incentive. I cannot speak for him on giving up the 3D image.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I could be wrong, but if only one size would actually work, I think all the major companies would be doing it that way. I appreciate your thinking about it in a new way, however. When you are making 5 vs 5,000 you can make them in entirely different ways. I was in charge of making devices for the handicapped students at a rehab facility and that was THE hardest thing to do, making them in small numbers by limited means, hand tools, milling machines, etc.
I agree it is probably not worth much extra time...so I will not push it with my son. That said, I have worked with enough "major companies" to know we cannot always rely on them for innovation. Sometimes they are pushing their design because they have 5000 to sell. ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Son is going to run it over sometime in the next couple of days so we can check the viability...then he will print the other diameters.
@pellikan64
Looks pretty good, from what I can tell in the photo. One of these days I'll have to figure out the whole 3D printing thing. Funny, I've learned to use 3+ different CAD programs but never made the jump to 3D printing.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Son is going to run it over sometime in the next couple of days so we can check the viability...then he will print the other diameters.
@pellikan64
Should have mentioned that the 3D printed one pictured above is the cleaner/smoother one. Son just stopped by and the insert is close to perfect. He was not satisfied with the difference in amount of "snap"-in though on my table and is going to beef things up there as test 2. Assuming that is the final test...he figures he can print the other diameters next week.
I told him he did not have to accommodate the slotted one which @Biotec identified for us, but he looked at it and said "not a big deal". Material-wise it seems to be apples and apples.

A little closer anyway...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Should have mentioned that the 3D printed one pictured above is the cleaner/smoother one. Son just stopped by and the insert is close to perfect. He was not satisfied with the difference in amount of "snap"-in though on my table and is going to beef things up there as test 2. Assuming that is the final test...he figures he can print the other diameters next week.
I told him he did not have to accommodate the slotted one which @Biotec identified for us, but he looked at it and said "not a big deal". Material-wise it seems to be apples and apples.

A little closer anyway...
Test II was fruitful. The insert now has the same "snap" as original and the result is cleaner than the original. He is going to proceed with printing out a set (or two) of all the diameters.
@pellikan64, I should have something in the mail by the end of the week.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I’m not sure of why those particular inserts were created with a notch, but I’ve done something similar with one of my inserts to improve dust collection when routing dados and groves. It helps clear out the chips that typically get caught in the dado/groove.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well, after not too long a wait, the 3D printer experiment is a success. @pellikan64, your set did not make the mail last week but should be heading your way tomorrow. The material used was PLA which has much the same feel as the original injection-molded versions.
It was interesting learning more about the process and what goes into it. It seems that one could benefit by some research into high-demand plastic parts that are out-of-stock but still in demand. Material cost is pretty small so the main cost is the CAD work. Printing time can be slow.
Wood Red Magenta Circle Fashion accessory

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok...I never got a response from any of you who expressed a need for the insert, after the point I suggested I could supply 3D printed versions. I would at like least one, "hell yeah" from the OP, or the other 2, before I hand this off to my son tomorrow...otherwise I will not burden him. Thanks.
Hi, I am just now looking for the same rings. Is your offer still on the table?

21 - 40 of 41 Posts