Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a Craftsman 315.228390 table saw with Router Table built-in to the Extension wing. I plan to use it with an old Craftsman router; however, I do not have any of the red inserts, or any other pieces of the puzzle. Although only rarely does this equipment show up on eBay; typically included in a package deal to sell the entire Extension Wing.

If anyone knows where I might find this equipment, especially the inserts, I would greatly appreciate a hint. One insert will do for now, regardless of its inside diameter. I plan to use it as a guide to make my own zero-clearance router inserts.

The red inserts' outer diameter is 2.5" (63.5mm).

Pictures below.

Thanks!!! John in Dallas

Attachments

·
where's my table saw?
31,291 Posts
Try this site .....

Here's a quick web search I did;
https://www.google.com/search?channel=cus2&client=firefox-b-1-d&q=router+table+insert+rings

It shows this for Craftsman:
https://www.amazon.com/Router-Table-Insert-Craftsman-Others/dp/B07DH3QKMY

OR .... go to https://www.ptreeusa.com/rtr_router_plates.html

They have these insert rings, but the outside diameter is critical for your router table. You can use a large size and carefully sand them smaller, but that's a last resort.

Level Lock Rings 5 Piece Set

This five-piece set of Level-Loc Reducing Rings fits the Kreg Precision Router Table Insert Plate, as well as Precision Router Table Lift, allowing you to customize the size of the opening around the bit. The set includes rings with 3/4", 13/8", 15/8", and 21/8" openings, plus one “blank” ring that you can use to create your own custom-sized or zero-clearance ring. The set comes with a molded storage tray that has slots to hold all five Level-Loc Reducing Rings, plus slots to hold the three rings that come with the Precision Router Table Insert Plate or Precision Router Table Lift. Each slot is marked with the opening size, making it easy to keep the rings organized.
Features:

• 3/4", 13/8", 15/8", and 21/8" openings
  • Plus one "blank" ring to create custom ring
  • Includes molded storage tray with slots
  • Slots are marked with opening size

Item# Description Price Quantity 4406 Kreg® Level Lock Rings 5 Piece Set $24.99

A great little shop made router lift:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently bought a Craftsman 315.228390 table saw with Router Table built-in to the Extension wing. I plan to use it with an old Craftsman router; however, I do not have any of the red inserts, or any other pieces of the puzzle. Although only rarely does this equipment show up on eBay; typically included in a package deal to sell the entire Extension Wing.

If anyone knows where I might find this equipment, especially the inserts, I would greatly appreciate a hint. One insert will do for now, regardless of its inside diameter. I plan to use it as a guide to make my own zero-clearance router inserts.

Pictures below.

Thanks!!! John in Dallas
Did you ever find a source for these? I also have the cast iron wing and a craftsman router but need the red rings. Any help is appreciated

·
where's my table saw?
31,291 Posts
Did you ever find a source for these? I also have the cast iron wing and a craftsman router but need the red rings. Any help is appreciated
Did you read all the posts here?
Is the cast iron wing also the router table like my Bench Dog cast iron router extension?
Electrical wiring Wood Gas Cable Engineering

If so, there's a rectangular opening for the router plate. If NOT there may only be a round opening about 2.5" diameter. Which do you have?There a lot of round red inserts BUT they are made to lock into the router plate.
Kreg

Level Lock Rings 5 Piece Set
Kreg® Level Lock Rings 5 Peice Set
This five-piece set of Level-Loc Reducing Rings fits the Kreg Precision Router Table Insert Plate, as well as Precision Router Table Lift, allowing you to customize the size of the opening around the bit. The set includes rings with 3/4", 13/8", 15/8", and 21/8" openings, plus one “blank” ring that you can use to create your own custom-sized or zero-clearance ring. The set comes with a molded storage tray that has slots to hold all five Level-Loc Reducing Rings, plus slots to hold the three rings that come with the Precision Router Table Insert Plate or Precision Router Table Lift. Each slot is marked with the opening size, making it easy to keep the rings organized.
Features:
  • 3/4", 13/8", 15/8", and 21/8" openings
  • Plus one "blank" ring to create custom ring
  • Includes molded storage tray with slots
  • Slots are marked with opening size

If Craftsman made their own style opening, you'll have trouble finding them, except possibly on Ebay.
Take a photo of the opening and post it here!

·
Registered
83 Posts

Pictures below.

Thanks!!! John in Dallas
I have that exact table and a router came with it when purchased. The router went unused for a decade, still in its plastic case until last year when I converted a butcher block into a standing desk and I pulled out the router for the first time. That desk:
Table Wood Personal computer Art Wall

I have never had the router attached to the table saw table but when I saw this post and the parts you are looking for it hit me that I may have it...or at least it looks familiar. If I remember I will do some searching. If it is just the one insert you want, you certainly could borrow it for a pattern if I find it. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've got the same saw and the same issue. I've tried a bunch of online searching with no exact match. I tried ordering some from searspartsdirect.com but after a month with no delivery I called and was told they're out of stock. Here's hoping someone finds something!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Curiosity got the best of me and I ran up and took a look. Got it. As alluded, not willing to part with the whole kit but will send you one of the inserts. Looks like they snap in as oppose to screw...so that might add some difficulty.
Send your address to: [email protected] with something in the subject where I know what it is about and I will send one out.
Liquid Fluid Natural material Barware Sunglasses

·
Registered
mechanical engineering
251 Posts
the 315. is ryobi

Router Throat Plate, Ryobi replacement part no.s

975424-002 Throat Plate (1/2 in.)
975424-003 Throat Plate (1 in.)
975424-004 Throat Plate (1-1/2 in.)
975424-005 Throat Plate (2 in.)
975424-006 Throat Plate (1-1/8 in.)
router_mounting_kit_operators_manual.pdf

Attachments

·
where's my table saw?
31,291 Posts
Curiosity got the best of me and I ran up and took a look. Got it. As alluded, not willing to part with the whole kit but will send you one of the inserts. Looks like they snap in as oppose to screw...so that might add some difficulty.
Send your address to: [email protected] with something in the subject where I know what it is about and I will send one out.
Nice offer!
Could you take a few photos of it first, so maybe we could duplicate it. Especially the OD and thickness measurements?
OP, post a request for someone with a 3D printer to make them once you get the sample.
I would, but my printer barely prints in 2 D .......

·
Registered
83 Posts
Nice offer!
Could you take a few photos of it first, so maybe we could duplicate it. Especially the OD and thickness measurements?
OP, post a request for someone with a 3D printer to make them once you get the sample.
I would, but my printer barely prints in 2 D .......
I was thinking the same thing when I saw that multiple people might want a set. One of my sons works for Protolab and they are pretty big on the 3D printing. I will ask him about it.

·
where's my table saw?
31,291 Posts
Wow, that's awesome! specially for a part that's extinct!
Is 3 D printing anything like MIG welding where the metal just spits out and melts into the main pieces?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Wow, that's awesome! specially for a part that's extinct!
Is 3 D printing anything like MIG welding where the metal just spits out and melts into the main pieces?
Sounds similar. Never done it but I know 3D printing takes a 3D image that has been broken down into slices and it then prints slice after slice of say, plastic, liquified as it goes through a heated tip... building up the object it is creating. I also have held plastic pieces made by a 3D printer that were not that dissimilar to the router inserts we are talking about here.

Edit: Here is a good overview...

·
Registered
83 Posts

Pictures below.

Thanks!!! John in Dallas
Ok...Good News. Talked to my son and he is willing create the 3D CAD image and 3D print up a set of the inserts. "Piece of cake". I will pass on the the 5 from the kit to him next weekend as they are coming over for Easter.

@Dorsey?? @pellikan64 ?? Once the images are created the product is not that expensive.

He was talking doing it as a favor to me, but I am sure some gratuity from those who want a set would be appreciated.

I will keep y'all posted.

·
where's my table saw?
31,291 Posts
Well, I'm glad my suggestion has worked out in this most favorable way! It was a wild idea at the time, but apparently not that far fetched.
Ain't this a great place to hang out? Nice of you to help out for sure.

Reactions: LilMtnDave

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well, I'm glad my suggestion has worked out in this most favorable way! It was a wild idea at the time, but apparently not that far fetched.
Ain't this a great place to hang out? Nice of you to help out for sure.
Actually, this seems like a perfect application for a 3D printer. Jobs like this are kind of what my son's company specializes in, but on a larger scale. On a smaller scale, he tells me a decent 3D printer can be had for <$500 that could simply do runs like this. I may have to check that out as maybe a side hustle as I bet there are thousands of out-of-stock parts with people searching for them. But, yeah, @woodnthings thanks for chiming in.
"You just keep thinkin Butch, that's what you are good at"

·
Registered
83 Posts
Ok...Good News. Talked to my son and he is willing create the 3D CAD image and 3D print up a set of the inserts. "Piece of cake". I will pass on the the 5 from the kit to him next weekend as they are coming over for Easter.

@Dorsey?? @pellikan64 ?? Once the images are created the product is not that expensive.

He was talking doing it as a favor to me, but I am sure some gratuity from those who want a set would be appreciated.

I will keep y'all posted.
Ok...I never got a response from any of you who expressed a need for the insert, after the point I suggested I could supply 3D printed versions. I would at like least one, "hell yeah" from the OP, or the other 2, before I hand this off to my son tomorrow...otherwise I will not burden him. Thanks.

·
where's my table saw?
31,291 Posts
Ok...I never got a response from any of you who expressed a need for the insert, after the point I suggested I could supply 3D printed versions. I would at like least one, "hell yeah" from the OP, or the other 2, before I hand this off to my son tomorrow...otherwise I will not burden him. Thanks.
The original thread started on 6-10- 2020. Dorsey last inquired 4- 4-2022 and pellikan64 on 4-8-2022.
I think your generous offer should not go forward until you get a response.
That's sad actually. You can't use the tool without the inserts.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The original thread started on 6-10- 2020. Dorsey last inquired 4- 4-2022 and pellikan64 on 4-8-2022.
I think your generous off should not go forward until you get a response.
That's sad actually. You can't use the tool without the inserts.
Thanks...I had not noticed the date on the OP. I now see he was just a short timer here having not posted since July 2020. Doh! So I guess it is up the @pellikan64 or @Dorsey to reply.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts