Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I decided to check out yet another of my old tools that have sat in the garage/shed for about 30 years. I could use a little polishing-buffing, etc., so I pulled out the bench grinder, prepared to do some cleaning. It was dusty as usual, so I swept off the visible outside stuff, plugged it in, and turned it on. Nothing but humming. I turned it off and unplugged it and started taking out screws. I took the cover off and began brushing out the spider webs and unidentifiable dust in every nook and cranny, resorting to canned air to get it all out. With the cover off, I plugged it back in and flipped the switch. The grinding wheel and the buffing wheel both turned nicely, with no humming, I switched it off and put the cover back on, screwing all the screws back in. I turned it back on and it began spinning again, then -CLUNK. it hummed and the stone wheel was suddenly growling and the nut loosened. I turned it off immediately and unplugged it.
I came inside and starting googling, found a similar grinder manual and the only thing I understood was that maybe it needed a new capacitor (this was an issue I had before with another humming/slow drill press). I couldn't find where the capacitor would be in this machine, so I'm at a bit of a loss.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@cynrich

here a link to the model # 257192120 Bench Grinder 6 Inch Wheel Parts it shows poorly using brushes not a start capacitor
item # 53 View attachment 441070 maybe hard to find. some time they get stuck and do not make good contact.

model number beginning with 257.
@Biotec Thanks, at least I have another path to follow now. I just about understand brushes vs capacitors from restoring potted motors on vintage Singer sewing machines, so happily I know what to look for! OR maybe I'll go get a $45 grinder from Harbor Freight for the little polishing projects I have now, and look later. I'm getting used to the disappointments of not being able to restore some of my late father's old stuff, but I'm also not getting any younger, and I think we have to choose our battles.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Biotec Thanks, at least I have another path to follow now. I just about understand brushes vs capacitors from restoring potted motors on vintage Singer sewing machines, so happily I know what to look for! OR maybe I'll go get a $45 grinder from Harbor Freight for the little polishing projects I have now, and look later. I'm getting used to the disappointments of not being able to restore some of my late father's old stuff, but I'm also not getting any younger, and I think we have to choose our battles.
I was happy to find today that I have a second bench grinder that I had picked up at a yard sale months ago (still in the car!) It's a 5" Black and Decker that actually works! I've ordered a buffing wheel from Amazon, so with this little bit of luck and any of the several colors of buffing compound I also have, it will be the right type of wheel and I'll finally get around to buffing up all the little Singer plates and wheels, etc and get some sewing machines finished.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts