Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I was wondering if anyone had experience with this model of table saw? I have the opportunity to buy one for $800. It comes with a upgraded 5hp motor, the original motor as well, a Pro-rip/Evolution1 mirco-adjustment fence by Voss Technologies, delta tenon jig, cross-cut sled, and miter gauge. What do you think? Link to manual. Link to Craigslist ad.

·
where's my table saw?
29,921 Posts
What is it? a cabinet saw? You want us to search the model number? Provide a link. Not enough info in your post.
This one is only $300.00:

This is a great cabinet table saw:

·
Interested Observer
1,180 Posts
That is a lot of money to spend on a used saw never mind a 30-40 year old contractor saw I don't care what accessories it includes. A new Delta is $600. Maybe you need or want a 5hp motor on a table saw. That is a lot of motor to be sure and a lot of motor for a contractor saw. What makes you believe you need 5hp?

If you are looking in NH, any reason this wont do?
Rochester saw

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Price seems high for an old, used contractor saw, but it depends a lot on where you live and the condition of the saw. The 5 horsepower motor and other accessories sweeten the deal, but I wonder if the "package" is worth the asking price. If it is so good and deserves top dollar, why is the owner selling it?

Is this your first table saw? A 5 horsepower table saw is quite a lot of power. It will cut nearly any wood in any thickness, but if you experience a kickback, it can also be very dangerous. Imagine a large, thick, dense, heavy piece of wood shot at you suddenly without warning at well over 100 mph.

Without knowing more about you, your woodworking experience, your project plans and needs, or much about the saw itself, it is difficult to provide more advice than that.

·
where's my table saw?
29,921 Posts
I had a Baldor 2 HP 220 volt motor on an old Craftsman contractor saw, yes only 2 HP and it was scary powerful. A 10" blade only goes a bit over 3" fully raised and that's thicker than most wood you will ever run into or through your table saw. I would't trust that crummy fence to give a cobstant or true rip safely either. That's too much power for that saw for home shop operations. The most you'll ever need is a true 3HP 220 volt motor. Don't be "fooled" by HP claims of 3 HP running on 120 volts, it can't happen. I have a 5 HP 12 Powermatic I put in storage because I don't need that much power, it's a huge saw and takes up too much room, and it's actually scary to use. A kickback would just about be fatal. 😬

Reactions: subroc

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is a lot of money to spend on a used saw never mind a 30-40 year old contractor saw I don't care what accessories it includes. A new Delta is $600. Maybe you need or want a 5hp motor on a table saw. That is a lot of motor to be sure and a lot of motor for a contractor saw. What makes you believe you need 5hp?

If you are looking in NH, any reason this wont do?
Rochester saw
That’s a good point. Comparing these two saws does make me question the value. I’ve just emailed the owner of that saw. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Price seems high for an old, used contractor saw, but it depends a lot on where you live and the condition of the saw. The 5 horsepower motor and other accessories sweeten the deal, but I wonder if the "package" is worth the asking price. If it is so good and deserves top dollar, why is the owner selling it?

Is this your first table saw? A 5 horsepower table saw is quite a lot of power. It will cut nearly any wood in any thickness, but if you experience a kickback, it can also be very dangerous. Imagine a large, thick, dense, heavy piece of wood shot at you suddenly without warning at well over 100 mph.

Without knowing more about you, your woodworking experience, your project plans and needs, or much about the saw itself, it is difficult to provide more advice than that.
I would actually likely change back to the original 3hp motor. Which I believe is wired for 110 or 120. I‘m definitely on the amateur side, thought I have been using a friends table saw semi regularly for a few years. I’m going to be building guitars with it, and it will eventually be replaced with a nicer saw.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
I would actually likely change back to the original 3hp motor. Which I believe is wired for 110 or 120. I‘m definitely on the amateur side, thought I have been using a friends table saw semi regularly for a few years. I’m going to be building guitars with it, and it will eventually be replaced with a nicer saw.
A 3 horsepower motor must be 220 volts. The best you can do with a 110 volt motor is just under 2 horsepower, and you probably want a true 20 amp circuit, not a 15 amp one.

Some other people here build guitars, so I will defer to them for advice on what is most important in a table saw if you are building guitars.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
that type craftsman table saw is all over craigslist for $150 to $250, i've never seen one go $800 or even close to it. i bought my son a similar saw for $150 in seattle 2 years ago. covid has changed things but not that much

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.