Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've had this old guy since new..... I seldom ever used the tilt feature, but needed it the other day...
I loosened the lock, but it doesn't want to move.... The lock shaft has a hex end that the handle fits over...
There's a spring behind the handle that allows it to be pushed off the hex and loosened more than the handle travel allows...
But no matter how loose I make it, it doesn't cooperate ..... What am I missing ??

Sent to y'all offen' a iPad thing......

·
where's my table saw?
28,745 Posts
check out the tilt gears

Many times I've had to get underneath and pick out the built up crud that settles in the gear teeth with an ice pick or small screw driver. If they don't get used the crud builds up and even packs in with just occasional use. It's truly the major downside to those old Cman saws. I tried to bend up a sheet metal, actually a piece of aluminum to cover the mechanism, but lost track of it somewhere....maybe the DC ate it? :blink:

Good table saw hygiene requires that you brush your teeth... at least once a month. :icon_cheesygrin:

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Today I flipped the saw over on saw horses, cleaned and lubed the ways, and was able to tilt it to 45 degrees by turning the wheel with both hands...
I don't see any place where it's binding....

·
where's my table saw?
28,745 Posts
It's not binding

Today I flipped the saw over on saw horses, cleaned and lubed the ways, and was able to tilt it to 45 degrees by turning the wheel with both hands...
I don't see any place where it's binding....

Chances are it's just got crud in the gears, bevel and sector. You gave to carefully get in between each of the teeth with a pick to remove it. IF that doesn't fix it you have another issue. Possibly the bolt that tightens the trunions to the main carriage needs to be tapped in a little from the front. Remove the knob and spacer then give it a tap.
If the bolt is loose, then there is probably crud in the ways of the trunions, another cause of stiffness in tilting the carriage/arbor.
While it's upside down, it's a perfect time to look into all these issues and give a spray of teflon or dry-slide lubricant. Don't use oil or grease, it will attract dust and build up into "crud"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts