Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had this bandsaw for less than a year. It is the newer model and is identical to a Rikon 10inch for the most part. I have really enjoyed it. A couple of days ago I changed the blade and it was the first time I have done this. I was excited to take the factory blade out and put in a better blade. I tried to put a 1/8th 14 TPI Olson blade in and had a hard time getting it to ride on the bottom wheel correctly. I then remembered some people complaining about a 1/8th blade on this saw, although it can be done I am sure. So I took it off and put an Olson 1/4 inch TPI 6 and it was quite easy, but!!! Upon turning on the machine it does not sound the same. What was once a nice hum has know turned into some screeching (to a degree) well, it just does not sound the same at all. Why would this be, everything is adjusted nicely. I actually just got done with some work work, now I am going to take another look and see if I can figure anything out.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Did you readjust the wheels that it rides between and against? If you had a 1/4" blade in before they wouldn't need adjusted, otherwise that could be your problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I did when I put the 1/8 blade on, it was pretty minor on the bottom wheel. It did occur to me that I always put on ear protection when it is running with the shop vac, and over head filtration system going too. Do these machines tend to get noisier with use or; if running and adjusted correctly they should sound virtually the same has the day you bought it?

I have also noticed after adjusting the tracking for the blade then adjusting the tension a little bit more it effects the tracking of the blade, is this normal? I read that you tension the blade then adjust tracking.

Sorry, just more questions keep popping up for me.
Maybe I should look at some more You Tube vids on this, looked at plenty when I bought the saw.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
The bearings on those saws have a bad track record, especially the guide bearings.....could need some replacement bearings.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will post back, but it is running well now. From a beginners perspective it might be of interest to other beginners.
Thanks for responding.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought this saw for quickly cutting bone/tusq nuts and saddles for guitars. So it is over kill until I made a gun rack and now going to make a toy chest for a grand daughter on the way. I do like the saw and a lot of bang for the dollars you spend. I happen to look at Alex Snodgrass video yesterday. But, it seems to be the get what you pay for is in play here. I tried to ride the cullet of the blade in the middle of the blade like Snodgrass suggest but it seemed to prefer to just ride in the middle which is were I had it. So I thought heck that is where it was before so I left it, adjusted the quides etc. and it sounds like the saw I originally bought nice hum to it, and cutting well.

Anyone take issue with Snodgrass's advice in general? I thought the statement about leaving your wheels alone because co-planer (?) is non issue was interesting.

Anyway thanks for the replies, now to find my profile section and be more specific about myself and my tools I own.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts