Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We moved to our new house in 2010 with one request from my wife that her hand me down and cheap tables she was using in the old house be updated to some new usable and efficient furniture. She wanted them to appear like a built in cabinets but with the flexibility to move if a relocation was in our future. She discussed her ideas with her father (an Engineer experienced with CAD and also an avid woodworker) to draw up the design so we would be sure it would fit in her craft room. It is an L shaped design with a corner unit for the computer. Left unit is nearly 8' long plus the 48" X 48" corner unit making it almost 12'. The right unit is 4' long plus the 48" corner unit making it an 8' return. Designed it so it has lots of leg room for the corner unit and each way left and right. Construction from Birch plywood with Poplar for all trim. All shelves in all units are adjustable on 1/4" peg holes on 1" centers. Formica installed on top will hold up well for sewing and crafting projects.

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bonus Credenza / Folding Island

Another request from my wife was a long Credenza style cabinet at counter top height (36") to store yarn and other craft stuff. She wanted the ability have it stored against the wall as cabinet and then fold into a square so she could a large work surface to cut fabric or wrap presents. Built this rolling unit on ball casters that is hinged in the middle to make it a very functional unit. When in the open position all craft storage is accessible. When folded into square arrangement completely closed so crafts don't fall out. We have even rolled this unit out into our rec room in the open position and put the open side against the wall and used it as a serving bar for food. Worked great.
Each unit measures 22.5" wide X 45" long X 36" tall. When in open position measures 22.5" X 90". When in folded position measures 45" X 45". Birch plywood with poplar trim and Formica top. Hardest part of this project was to get the match lines when it is open and closed to be flat. Came out very nice.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Design and build both look great, and its awesome timing! I've been stuck on a plateau with a good quality benchtop TS... but its still a benchtop. I've got lots of projects waiting for TS upgrade and might have found one, only I have not yet talked money for the upgrade during our family budget talks.... This was just the lead I was looking for! "Hey honey, look at this!"

nice job and perfect timing....

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Icutone2 said:
That is one nice room! Did you inset the keyboard?
Lee
Keyboard just sits on top. Not inset. Many times she pushes the keyboard back and has lots of additional free room on the corner unit.
Good idea though.

·
The "Nerdy Woodworker"
822 Posts
my mom is really into sewing, she has this big husqevarna touch screen monster sewing machine, and a real big quilting "thing". She could benifit from something like this.

Sent from my Xoom using Woodworking Talk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts