Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been mostly absent from here for quite a while, but I decided to try to post a recent project.
This is a cradle for an upcoming grandson. The design is basically mine. I ordered a set of plans on the web just to get a feel for dimensions and structure, and then I re-did them to my liking

wwtalk1.JPG

wwtalk2.JPG

I used cherry & ash. I went with a simplified look frame & panel construction for the ends & loose tenon ladder sides. The glider components are available from several web sources.
The finish is original formula Waterlox, which after using it, has become my new favorite finish, both for ease of application & finished look.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
That is real nice. I will have to check out the Waterlox finish. When I made my first cradle, for the grandkids, I first went and got a mattress. Then I built around the mattress. The sales lady at the mattress shop, said most people build the bed first, then try to get a mattress to match. I have built three.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is real nice. I will have to check out the Waterlox finish. When I made my first cradle, for the grandkids, I first went and got a mattress. Then I built around the mattress. The sales lady at the mattress shop, said most people build the bed first, then try to get a mattress to match. I have built three.
That's one of the reasons I bought a set of plans. While they gave me the basic structure, I could have figured out that from looking at all the pics on the web, but having a starting point with the dimensions was a time saver.
There are several kinds of Waterlox finishes. The one I used & like is the original version. It is expensive, though.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Beautifully done :thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
656 Posts
Great job on making such a beautiful and well made crib. Like the design and the finish. I'm sure that it will become a great family heirloom that grand kids can enjoy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts