Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a small crack in my cutting board that has seemed to stabilize over the two weeks since I finished it. I have let it set inside the house for this small crack to stabilize and it has not seemed to change at all so I am wanting to treat the crack and begin coating the board with beeswax/mineral oil so that I may use it.

My question is, would CA glue on the board be a good way to seal it? Even though the crack is on the bottom, is CA glue food safe after it cures?

Also, I have never used CA glue but I have the TB medium version, do I just apply it and then wait for it to dry, then sand it down?

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Super Moderator
4,395 Posts
The CA would work well. Food safe, not sure.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
If you have not already done any mineral oil coating then CA will work. Just be aware that wherever you put CA, oil will not work. Likewise, if you have already oiled the board CA won't hold because it can't grip in the oil. CA soaks into the wood and hardens keeping oil out. Oil seeps into the wood and keeps the CA out. Therefore, your crack repair will always stand out like a sore thumb unless you can somehow inject the CA deep into the non-oiled crack and not on the surface.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have not applied any mineral oil or wax to it yet but.....

Do I really 'have' to do anything to the crack?

What would be the preferred way to deal with it, just leave it alone and use the wax/oil on it? Or seal it with CA glue?

I'm just afraid that if i don't do anything to the crack and water gets in, unwanted things are going to happen.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Have you ever known of a crack getting smaller all by itself?

Sooner of later no mater what you do the crack will expand through to the top unless you do something to stop it. I just don't know what unless like I already said, find a way to inject the CA deep into the crack while keeping it away from the surface. You could try a 2 part epoxy, but you'd have the same problem of spoiling the final finish.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
You can also try injecting wood glue into the crack, thinning it with water if the crack is small. Apply some pressure to close up the crack and you should be good.

·
Registered
620 Posts
If the crack is running with the grain, I'd probably just make a pass through the table saw, running the kerf right down the crack, and then glue it up. Crack is gone.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Think I am going to tape the area off and try CA glue tomorrow.

If the crack is running with the grain, I'd probably just make a pass through the table saw, running the kerf right down the crack, and then glue it up. Crack is gone.
This is an awesome idea but the board has inlays in it that I would be cutting through to get to the crack :wacko: If the Ca glue doesn't work over time, I will just cut the whole sub panel off and build a new one.

Thanks all for the great suggestions :smile:

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Tape off the area and put some regular wood glue mixed with some sanding dust of the species of wood you used. Force it in with a putty knife and put more sanding dust on top. Let it dry then sand it smooth.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Does the crack go all the way through the board? If so, the way I would try first is to put the CA adhesive on the top working it into the crack. Then use your shop vac, press it firmly against the side opposite the side you applied the adhesive to, turn on the vac and you should see the adhesive being drawn into the crack. Then immediately clamp it to close up the crack. Use a cabinet scraper to remove any excess adhesive.

·
maker of crooked things
38 Posts
Photo? Would make helping alot simpler ca is just liquid acrylic once hard its just a type of plastic so yeah its food safe but you will notice it, also i dont know how it would react to the oils i doubt it would be problamatic but you never know

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not a big crack, but I filled with CA and sanded it down a bit. The crack has a hard coating on it now. Not sure how much actually went into the crack since it is so small but if it doesn't remain constant then I will just cut it off and glue up a new piece. Thanks for all of the tips.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts