Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Jeff G
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It took may way too long (in part b/c I had to scrap a nearly finished version before restarting), but here is my coved walnut cufflink box (the splines are maple).

I did the cove work on my TS (thanks to this forum for some tips on doing this).

It's not perfect, but I'm happy to have it done and in use.

Higher resolution images here: http://imgur.com/a/v8aiX

Attachments

·
Registered
834 Posts
It might not be perfect but it looks good to be:thumbsup:!

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Looks great to me!!! I'm hoping to try some boxes about this size this summer as I'd like to make some for Christmas gifts.

·
Jeff G
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First, thanks everyone!

What would you change to make your box "perfect"?
Well, the splines didn't sit as far down as they needed to so I had gaps once I cut the coves. This meant I had to fill in the spaces and that doesn't look great.

The hinges were really tough to align and so the lid is slightly off square relative to the base.

I made the gaps for the cuff link stems too narrow by about 1/16" and so a couple of my cuff links don't fit as nicely as I would have liked.

None of these things are major issues, but, as always, you learn from your mistakes.

·
Chairman of the 'Board
285 Posts
Wow. Thanks for sharing so candidly. The only thing I thought could be improved was the placement of the splines. Even then I thought it was quite minor. You'll always see errors no one else will ever notice. It's still a great job.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts