Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All I knew this morning was I was making a box. No plans...nothing. I saw a video earlier this week on how to do cove cuts with a table saw so I thought I woould give it a try. Here is the set up, followed by the finished board.

Then I split it fit a piece of walnut in between. Glued up and waiting for inspiration on finishing it! I was thinking of using 3/4 " oak for columns on each corner to connect the sides...
Photo 6.jpg

Photo 8.jpg

Photo 7.jpg

Photo 2.jpg

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is my invention LOL......I am pretty sure alot of folks do it. I am just playing around today....trying out new techniques and getting rid of some scrap wood.

I was going to split the baord, then glue in a strip, the do the cove cut. I wanted to see what this looked like first.

If it comes out ok it will end up being a Mother's day gift for someone:yes:

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Looking good I'm liking it :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Has anybody else use a tablesaw to make cove cuts in boards? I thought using my 3/32" blada might be to thin and vinrate or have undeu stress on it.

I put in a 1/8" kerf blad and it sliced through like butter:smile:

·
Hobbyist wood-butcher
1,585 Posts
Has anybody else use a tablesaw to make cove cuts in boards? I thought using my 3/32" blada might be to thin and vinrate or have undeu stress on it.

I put in a 1/8" kerf blad and it sliced through like butter:smile:
First of all, I love the ambition you have to just let the project speak to you, as well as try something new. That box is turning out awesome!

I did my first cove cut on my ts on my wife's recipe box. There are a few websites that have calculatorson them, and help you cut the cove exactly how you want them. When I did mine, I didn't have a thicker blade, so I used an 80 tooth melamine blade, hoping to make the cut as smooth as possible. It was still pretty rough, and required ALOT of sanding.

Again, I applaud you with this project. LOVE the use of different woods too!

When I'm at my computer, I will post some links to those calculators here. I know one of them is from mathias wendal....

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
First of all, I love the ambition you have to just let the project speak to you, as well as try something new. That box is turning out awesome!

I did my first cove cut on my ts on my wife's recipe box. There are a few websites that have calculatorson them, and help you cut the cove exactly how you want them. When I did mine, I didn't have a thicker blade, so I used an 80 tooth melamine blade, hoping to make the cut as smooth as possible. It was still pretty rough, and required ALOT of sanding.

Again, I applaud you with this project. LOVE the use of different woods too!

When I'm at my computer, I will post some links to those calculators here. I know one of them is from mathias wendal....
I used this page from Shop Notes for the calculations. It was dead on. The cove was off centered by only .02 inches...And that was most likely operator error.

Oh, here is the link for folks:
http://www.shopnotes.com/files/issues/116/cove-calculations.pdf

There were many other sites but I thought this one was straight forward.

As far as sanding...it wasn't too bad. I put 80 grit around a sponge and went to work and worked up to 180.

One thing that is a definite must: You need to put constant downward pressure on the board so the cove is even and the edges or sharp. The board needs to be flat passing over the blade.

I raised the blade 1/8 inch at a time...or close to that.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Some Scroll Work

I did some scroll work for the top. What do you guys think? scroll work flush or not? I included a pic of a simple screen I made for when spraying adhesive on scroll patterns. I saw some guy do it somewhere. It is just a frame with a screen on one side and plastice sheeting on the other to keep the spray from going everywhere.

Screen.jpg

half way.jpg

finished scroll.jpg

1 - 20 of 31 Posts