Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I hope this doesn't sound too much like advertising, because that is not my goal with this post and I'm not sure if this is the appropriate spot to post something like this, but we're just really proud to be able to share this news. My wife's cousin's work is going to be on the DIY program, "I Want That" July 24th @ 10pmEDT and I'm trying to get him as much exposure as possible. Chris does amazing work and has really been starting to succeed recently after struggling for a number of years to get noticed. I've helped him out in his shop countless times, but would like to help more, but with him living about 90 minutes away from us, it makes it tough to visit, let alone help out. His work is mainly turning old pieces into useful works of art.

His Oak Ice Box will be featured on episode 311 if you're interested in checking it out.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Kudos to your cousin Chris! Always makes me happy to see a struggling artist & woodworker get a break :) For future reference, there's an "off topic" section under the Community forum that would be the place for this post ;-)

On a side note, does it drive anyone else completely insane that every time some simpleton is tasked with removing cabinets on any DIY Network remodeling/makeover show its done with a sledge hammer rather than a screw gun???? So funny to watch em get all tired, worn out, and sweaty trying to repeatedly swing a 10 lb sledge overhead for a job that I could accomplish by myself with only a screwdriver and barely break a sweat. Gotta love "reality" tv.

·
Registered
401 Posts
BZawat said:
Kudos to your cousin Chris! Always makes me happy to see a struggling artist & woodworker get a break :) For future reference, there's an "off topic" section under the Community forum that would be the place for this post ;-)

On a side note, does it drive anyone else completely insane that every time some simpleton is tasked with removing cabinets on any DIY Network remodeling/makeover show its done with a sledge hammer rather than a screw gun???? So funny to watch em get all tired, worn out, and sweaty trying to repeatedly swing a 10 lb sledge overhead for a job that I could accomplish by myself with only a screwdriver and barely break a sweat. Gotta love "reality" tv.
Thought I was the only one cringing at their stupid method.... They waste so much good material....

Sent to y'all offen' a iPad thing......

·
Registered
431 Posts

Yes, all for TV show. When we had our kitchen remodeled, we donated the cabinets to the local Habitat for Humanity. As a benefit, they come by and take them out. No demo, and we did not even have to get out a screw driver.

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Awesome! Congratulations to him. His work is really cool (I checked out the website). On a side note, we have at least one member here at the forum who does the barrel work as well. It's impressive to see how much can be done with old barrels.

That's really cool. Do you have pics or a website showing his other work?
Follow the oak barrel link in the first post.

Also, I too cringe when I see them destroy perfectly good cabinetry with a sledge rather than simply unscrew and haul away. But I guess non-destructive disassembly doesn't make for dramatic TV. Why carry complete units when you could shovel rubble into a wheel barrow? :blink:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the feedback fellas :thumbsup:

As Steve mentioned, you can see a lot of his work on his webpage as well as the FB page.

re: Reno shows destroying perfectly good cabinets - My wife and I make the same comments as some of you when they destroy the cabinets that could be used for so many other projects or donated to places like Habitat for Humanity. Drives me insane thinking of the waste just to try and grab some ratings or the viewer's attention.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Follow the oak barrel link in the first post.

Also, I too cringe when I see them destroy perfectly good cabinetry with a sledge rather than simply unscrew and haul away. But I guess non-destructive disassembly doesn't make for dramatic TV. Why carry complete units when you could shovel rubble into a wheel barrow? :blink:

Ahh, I missed that link. Thanks.

Funny you mention the cabinet destroying. A couple weeks ago I saw, for the first time, on Kitchen Crashers with Alison Victoria (total hottie), the careful removal and DONATION of the homeowners kitchen cabinets. Maybe the tide is turning!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Looks like they have rescheduled the episode to air this Wednesday night at 10 or 10:30pmEDT. The episode is titled, "Faux Concrete".

·
Registered
656 Posts
Congratulations to your cousin. He is a great craftsman. Checked on the website, very cool and creative. Love the oak ice box, great use of old barrels.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Darn, I missed the show last night :sad: Hopefully I can catch it in re-run.
You didn't miss much. They didn't even mention the name of his company let alone his name or where you can buy his products. My buddy who built the website, saw a very small increase in traffic. So Chris is out $3600 of product (he sent them 3 coolers) and no way for people to know where to buy from.

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
You didn't miss much. They didn't even mention the name of his company let alone his name or where you can buy his products. My buddy who built the website, saw a very small increase in traffic. So Chris is out $3600 of product (he sent them 3 coolers) and no way for people to know where to buy from.
Well, that stinks. They (DIY Net) sure know how to show their appreciation. :thumbdown:

It's still awesome that his products were shown. Just a shame he didn't even get properly recognized for his efforts. I still do want to see the episode, though.

·
Registered
409 Posts

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts