Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was asked to make something simple that could be put into an auction for a benefit for a friend of ours that has run into some problems. Won't go further into the issues but he is in need of some extra cash and we've got a bunch of people together to throw a benefit party to help him out.

We decided that a simple project might be a clock. I knew I could get the simple mechanisms from WoodCraft and make the surrounds in a few hours. I have about 2 hours each into the clocks. I was going to make 2 different clocks but because of time constraints I made 2 of the same style. Just got different clock faces for them.

They are made mostly out of Sapele' and the floating clock holder is made from Maple to highlight it. I had some stainless steel tubing left over from my curved desk project so I threw a couple of columns on the clocks.

The floating is just a block on the back support, I put it in a diamond configuration just because I felt like it :laughing:

·
Super Moderator
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Inside diameter is 7/8" so I used a 1" holesaw to make a plug. It fit nice and snug. Screwed and glued them in place. The top is secured with glue and two #10 biscuits (5/8" top). The bottom is screwed on. So I put the SS tubing over the plugs and then put the bottom on. The plugs on the top and bottom trap the SS tubing.

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Very nice projects. I've been wanting to build a mantle clock myself.

Mark

1 - 8 of 8 Posts