Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maple globe with finial from Cocobolo pen blank.

I had some difficulty with this sea urchin shell; it has a kidney shape. The big gap was ugly. Next time, I should choose the shell with that in consideration. I think the disk was too heavy for the shape. Comments are welcome.

Gordon

Attachments

·
Registered
484 Posts
matt
Very nice work. Do you use an eccentric chuck of some kind? I would like to try turning some work like this but can't find anyone that explains the process and the chuck or whatever you need to do this turning. Any help you can give me? Thanks. Mitch

·
Registered
49 Posts
If my way of thinking is correct you do the turning between centres and when you want a new shape you simply move one or both of the centres slightly

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
These were done with the original Escoulen eccentric chuck.
Yes, most of the time, you don't need to use any chuck; eccentric turning can be turned between centers. But for these, it would be a big challenge without the chuck. Because the finials were thin, when you can put enough pressure from the tailstock end to drive the piece, the thin part would buckle.
The cocobolo is pretty but the grain is coarse, I had some chatter problem when I want to go any thinner.

Here is an old one with hard maple finial:

Gordon

·
Registered
484 Posts
Gordon
That is a beautiful piece of work. I like this one fine.
the four sided bowl on top was turned separately then attached on top of the finial right? I can't imagine turning this as one piece. Again, nice job, Mitch

1 - 7 of 7 Posts