Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been on here much lately. Going back to school, work and family. I've barely had any shop time too, but I managed to eventually complete these. The first is a new picture frame style I wanted to try in order to match the bedroom furniture. Worked out nice but I messed up by using spray poly...too glossy. Not horrible but it doesn't match the furniture's finish.

The next is a set of comic racks. These worked out great, and have me a chance to do some mortise and tenon joints for the second time. Time consuming but worth it for the strength of the joint and it looks good too. They were made from an old church pew. They are held on the wall using cleats. Got the idea on this forum

Attachments

·
Banned
3,533 Posts
If you hit the frame with one of the scotch bright pads you can sand out the gloss a bit to give the finish a more satin-like finish rather than high gloss. The projects look great.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Nice projects. :thumbsup:

I think I would just respray the frames with a satin poly instead of the gloss. It will cover the gloss finish and give it a finish closer to the rest of the furniture plus its easier than trying to match them by hand.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good tips. Thanks. I didn't want to strip the finish off because I used dye for the first time instead of stain (maple frames) and was uncertain what would happen

1 - 4 of 4 Posts