Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· James Daschel
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, haven't made very many pens in a while but I figured I'd get some orders out of the way on sunday.
First is a red pine cone rollerball postable atrax
2nd is a purple clicker pen. The pics turned out dark, it looks must more purple and better in person.

Let me know what you think :smile:

Attachments

· Registered
4,059 Posts
That's very cool. The first one reminds me a little of the way the knots radiate in Norfolk Island pine turnings. If you don't mind sharing, just how do you do that? Surely a pine cone doesn't have enough solid wood in the middle to pull this off.

· James Daschel
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's very cool. The first one reminds me a little of the way the knots radiate in Norfolk Island pine turnings. If you don't mind sharing, just how do you do that? Surely a pine cone doesn't have enough solid wood in the middle to pull this off.
No problem, I cast a pine cone in resin. Using a pressure pot.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f6/how-i-make-my-cast-pen-blanks-47869/

Here is the link to how I cast my wood, but the pine cone is about the same process.

· Registered
4,059 Posts
At the risk of sounding stupid (I have no choice :), you use a pressure pot? I would have assumed you draw a vacuum to suck the air out of the casting and let it get displaced by the resin. Do I have it completely backward?

· James Daschel
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
At the risk of sounding stupid (I have no choice :), you use a pressure pot? I would have assumed you draw a vacuum to suck the air out of the casting and let it get displaced by the resin. Do I have it completely backward?
No, they use a vacuum for stabilizing wood, which is a different resin.

The reason I use pressure is forces the bubbles to be almost microscopic. And it forces the resin into all the nooks and crannies of the blank.

· learning to turn bowls.
197 Posts
do you sell blanks? My wife won't let me buy any more toys for the time being but I would love to try a pine cone blank. Of course then I would have to find a good reason because I have a ton of blanks waiting to be turned. uniqueness? sure i'll try that, so do you sell the blanks?

· James Daschel
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I sell them for 8 dollars each on forums or $11 on ebay. (plus shipping) I have a whole bunch of colors. If you want just PM me with what colors you want and how many then, I will give you a total and my paypal address to send money to.
(I hope I am not breaking any forums rules)

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.