Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've got a 4 person kitchen table that I made years ago. (I'm not a woodworker, but took a class at the time.) It's nice maple, but the shape and lack of disassembly is a pain. I'd like to take it apart with as little sawing as possible. The top is 3/4 inch thick maple, 4 boards glued together. I've read some stuff online about using water and vinegar to dissolve wood glue, but it's not clear if it penetrates a seam like this. Do you think I could somehow soak this joint and get it to separate, or do I need to saw it and lose some wood.

thanks,
Rob

·
Log dog
7,935 Posts
You made table? And your not a woodworker?
Sounds like a woodworker to me. Lol
Not sure if that would work. Why do you want to take it apart?

·
Registered
28 Posts
If it was Hyde Glue you might be able to dissolve the glue and get it apart. Do you remember what type of glue you used?
If it was any type of white glue, Titebond, or Elmer's just rip on the joints.
Sounds like you are trying to reuse the wood.
If you use water or vinegar your going to warp your table top and ruin the wood IMHO.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why do you want to take it apart?
I rent an apartment and don't have a good space for it now. I'm sick of carrying around and/or trying to a store a table that doesn't come apart into more manageable pieces. (I've moved a lot). If I take it apart I can either keep it in a closet, or rework it into something resizable, maybe use half the top as a smaller table.

·
Log dog
7,935 Posts
I've never had to take apart something I've made, unless it was made to come apart. I guess it's a lesson learned. You might have to cut it up.
Sux!!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it was Hyde Glue you might be able to dissolve the glue and get it apart. Do you remember what type of glue you used?
If it was any type of white glue, Titebond, or Elmer's just rip on the joints.
Sounds like you are trying to reuse the wood.
If you use water or vinegar your going to warp your table top and ruin the wood IMHO.
It definitely was't the hide glue. It was something like the Elmer's. Sounds like I'll be cutting it up. Actually the legs are even more of a pain than the top to move around. I blindly followed the plan in some book and it was not a good idea... they are all mortised and glued. But those I can cut without finding a table saw.

·
Registered
26,196 Posts
I think it would take so long to soak he glue loose you would ruin the wood. I think if you wish to take the joints apart it would be best to cut them apart. I have soaked furniture in a dip tank with a lye solution for an hour and it didn't affect the joints.

·
7,222 Posts
White or yellow PVA glue will fail when the joint gets to a specific temperature, but getting the entire joint hot enough is difficult, since the wood is somewhat of an insulator.

You may need hot steam. Good luck.

You may have to just cut the top in two and then use special fittings to connect. Sorry, I do not think an easy fix.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Why not cut it in half, install leaf pins and holes and a removable support on the underneath side?
When you want to move it just remove the support pull the 2 halves apart and now it can be easily stored.
Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Why not cut it in half, install leaf pins and holes and a removable support on the underneath side?
When you want to move it just remove the support pull the 2 halves apart and now it can be easily stored.
Just my thoughts.
I agree, that's what I'll try to do.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts